Saturday, August 3, 2013

What Feeds You

You know, I really need to get better about this blogging thing. I used to be really good at it. I don't know what happened. It's not like I don't have a lot to say. Anyone who's on my Facebook Fan Page or Twitter knows that. Maybe that's why my blog gets neglected. I'm so chatty over there. Sorry, blog readers. I'll try to be better (she said again for the bazillionth time).

You know what I like. Audiobooks (Eeeeeeerch! Sharp left turn. I hope you had on your seat belt.) Anyway, yes audiobooks. I wish all of my books were in audio. (Dear publishers, it would be lovely. Thank you). The other day I turned off my book on my phone as my husband walked into the room. I said "Oh sorry, I was just reading my book while I was waiting." And then I realized what I said and rolled my eyes. "Because this is how I read now, apparently."

Yes, Brynn can read. She just finds it easier to do audiobooks lately. I can listen while I clean the bathroom or do the dishes or run errands in my car. There's lots of taxi-ing around lately and I'm blessed enough to have one of those jack thingies that I can plug my phone into and it plays through the car speakers. It's pretty darn cool. I also use the books as a reward system. If I write for an hour, I can listen to a chapter--mostly they're about 15 minutes. Yes, us writers needs reward systems sometimes.

Reading more has certainly given me a new lease on writing. I've found that the more I read (or listen-read) the easier it is to write. Steven King said once, if you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write. That's a paraphrase probably because I can't remember the exact words and because I want to actually finish this post--you'd cringe at all my unfinished posts--I'm not going to go look up the specific wording. Okay, it killed me so I just went and looked. I'm kinda anal that way. What he said is “If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” It's in his book On Writing, which by the way I "read" via audiobook. I've gotta say, I thought it was rather pompous and a little judge-y at the time, but the more I read (I really do read the printed word too. I don't just listen) the more I find it's far easier to write.

So, the point of this post. Writers keep reading (or read more). I know you're busy and you want to spend all your time writing your own stuff, not reading other people's work. I've fallen into that trap before. You must read. It feeds you.

And readers, please keep reading (or read more). It feeds us (BIG GRIN). I'm a reader, so I can say that.

No comments: