Friday, November 2, 2012

Something Sad

There are a few things, people actually, that are making me sad — really sad. People I care about, people I’ve worked with in the past who are no longer writing. It twists my gut to know these very talented people have apparently put down their pens and walked away.

I’m speaking specifically about three people (LD, AL/EH and EA). All three of these people were beaten down by the industry and stopped writing. All three are utterly talented and people I’d work with again in an instant, no questions.

One of the group I mentioned I also considered a good friend. When she walked away, she left behind all of us, friend or not.I wonder if she was given the choice, between her day job and her writing career. She works for a Christian organization and I wouldn’t be surprised if she faced an ultimatum.

That too saddens me. I wonder what I would do if faced by the same. Well, sort of. I’ve often thought over what I’d do if “outed” at church. I’d walk away. Religion is far different from faith. But church and your livelihood are far different too. The thought that someone would be forced to choose between their writing and the rest of life just makes me want to cry. Writing is life for most writers.

I hope the best for these three friends, and I wish there was something I could do for them. I guess, most of all I hope they read this and know I’m still here for them.

1 comment:

Amber Skyze said...

Hugs, Brynn. It sucks losing friends.