Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Taxes and a new work day

You know, I think the IRS gets a bad rap -- at least the people who work there. I've had to talk to them quite a few times in the past year (because I'm just that lucky) and all but one time, every person has been absolutely polite and delightful. I just wanted to throw that out there. Tax collectors from the beginning of time have gotten a nasty rep -- some of them deservedly, I'll admit. I have to say, I'd hate to have that job. You hear IRS and you get a nasty taste in your mouth. It's conditioning, I guess, and the fact we hate all the damn forms and deadlines. There's always that specter out there too, that chance we're going to get -- gulp -- audited. Most people I know have the kind of fear and reverence for the Internal Revenue Service that truthfully we should just reserve for God. It's an interesting personality study.

Anyway, thankfully, tax day is behind us. Now it's time to move on to the rest of the year. It's that day when we vow to keep better records for next year, to make sure we have enough deductions, and maybe make payments ahead if we're self employed. That usually lasts about a week for me. I usually keep good records anyway, but the rest, I don't so much think about. I'm am the tax guy's nightmare.

Enough about that.

My dream yesterday spawned an idea for a whole new series. Strangely though, it has nothing to do with most of the dream, just a split second moment of dream within dream. Continued weirdness ensues.

But the new series...definitely not weird. I'm so looking forward to it. I'm jotting scenes for the first one right now. That's about it, though, because I'm also working on a short-short story, on the next Daly Way, and on a shape-shifter book. Multi-tasking. It is my M.O.

How do I do that? Well, I break up my day like a job. Because, well, this IS my job. I have a list of tasks to do and I attack them just like I would if I had an office job. I don't recall one time in my pre-writing career that I had one item to complete on my desk. Generally, I had a to-do list as long as my arm. Same thing here. My list of books to write and where I want to send them gets longer by the month. I usually get at least one new book idea a month. At least. So I jot them down so I don't forget details, add them to my list then get back to work on the current tasks. I think right now, I have enough ideas to last me to 2015. Maybe longer...

No comments: