Monday, September 20, 2010

Back!!!

I just got back from Authors After Dark. It was a great time!!! I love spending time with my best friends. I talk to them just about every day, but seeing them is so much better. I have to say, Stella Price did an awesome job coordinating the conference. With all the snafus that were out of her hands, she still managed to keep things on track and moving along as they needed to.

I was so excited to meet one of my friends, Kris Norris, in person -- finally. She is absolutely fantastic. Just an all around superb person. I hope I get to see her again soon even though she comes to conferences all the way from Canada. Of course I got to see Carol Lynne, Bronwyn Green, Mia Watts and Jennifer Armintrout too!!!

Bronwyn, Mia, Kris and I went in to NYC one of the days and had quite the adventure. We started at the bus station, went to Times Square, then had lunch at the Jekyll and Hyde Club (which is one of my favorite places). We took the long carriage ride through Central Park - after dickering with the bike tour guys and deciding to go with the much nicer and reasonable horse and carriage.

Afteward, due to a bit of a misdirection problem, we took a loooooooooong subway ride, then finally went to ground zero. I've been there before and it made a huge impression. This time it just looked like a construction site. Then we were off to the walk through Battery Park. The battered globe that was once between the Twin Towers made a bigger impression.

Then it was off to the Staton Island Ferry and a view of the Statue of Liberty. This was where we met a hysterical guy named Jose who entertained us the whole way. He told us about the ferry crashing into the pier twice in the last year and promised to save us. Kris announced she would kayak on him and we discovered Mia has a toe fetish (sorry Mia. I promised I was not letting it go) and I decided I'd just swim for it.

Another, much shorter subway ride followed then we took the bus back to our hotel. We were exhausted and had dinner at one of the restaurants by the hotel. Bronwyn fell asleep at the table while we waited for our bill. I was ready to join her.

The next day was the official start of the conference. I meet so fantastic people there. Someone I will now list as a good friend and I was thrilled to meet was Sonya Bateman. She's a sweetheart and it was fun having her hang out with us. I haven't read any of her books yet, but I hear they're awesome. I'm going to download one today for my ereader.

All in all, it was a fun time and I know I'll have more to share, but there's the overview. And I have to say:

1. My husband told everyone the past five days how grateful he was for me and that he had no idea how much I do every day.

2. I almost cried when I saw my husband and kids coming up the concourse to greet me yesterday. Despite the fun, I was so thankful to be home. Gotta say, I love those boys.

~~Brynn

9 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

Still can't believe I fell asleep at the table - lol!

I had such a blast on our trip. I love traveling with you - not just because you keep me from getting lost, but because you're awesome!

I agree - Stella was freaking amazing and Sonya is an absolute doll!

There are so many wonderful, generous, kind people in our field, and I already miss them like crazy. I'm glad you're only five minutes away - I'd be so sad if I had to miss you like that, too.

Cant wait 'til the next conference!

Eliza Gayle said...

Wish I had managed to meet you all. As a new Resplendence author myself it would have been cool to say hello.

Eliza

Brynn Paulin said...

Oh my gosh, Eliza! I didn't know you were there!!!!! I would have grabbed you and made you hang with us! I'm like that. Bronwyn is, too.

Bron, I'm so glad you only live five from me too. I'd go nuts without you.

Sonya Bateman said...

Oooh, I am loving that you all have blogs for me to stalk! *G*

Sorry I don't have one. You may stalk me on Facebook if you'd like.

I HAD SO MUCH FUN and I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE MET YOU!

(Yes, I'm shouting. I can do that, because I'm home now, and no longer in a hotel, so the only people I'm currently bothering with all my squeeing is my son and the dog. LOL)

HUGS! (really loud ones!)

Molly Daniels said...

Glad you had a great time and the hubby appreciates you all the more !

Pictures please??????????

Brynn Paulin said...

SONYA!!!! HUGS!!! I'm sooooo gonna stalk you on Facebook :-)

Dakota Rebel said...

I will be going next year. I hate missing all the fun. :( Can you hear me pouting?

I am so glad you all had a blast. It sounds great. I am glad you all stayed safe and made it home in one piece.

We'll have to get some of you over here before the snow flies so you can check out Jr. Rebel 2.0 and I can hang out with my friends again. I miss you so much!

XoXoxo
Dakota

Mia Watts said...

@Brynn, I do NOT have a toe fetish. Cripes! "Joey" offered to be our flotation device in the event of a ferry crashing. I figured with four of us needing such services, and slutty (kidding!) Kris using his torso for *ahem* kayaking *wink wink*, that I'd be generous to the other two and only take up one toe. I told him I'd hold on to that and kick us to safety. See how kind and generous and thoughty I am???? SEE?! DAMN IT! LOOK AT ME BEING THOUGHTY AND SO NOT FOOT FETISHY!!!

@Sonya! HIIIIII! Loved meeting you. You are amazing and such an awesome person. :)

@Eliza, OMG I wish I'd known! I was under orders to buy RP authors a drink. :( Jessica! I missed one!!

Mia Watts said...

@Dakota, you'd better get your ass to the next one woman. This baby excuse will only work for so long.