Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Kaenar Langford!!!

Have you ever met someone you just love right away? That's how it was when I met today's wonder writer a little over two years ago. Kaenar is a fantastic, fun person and—dare I say?—a little crazy, but in the very best way. With Kaenar, what you see is what you get, and what you get is the very best.

Here's today's interview:

Author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

I get up in the morning and make a protein shake for everybody. Our younger son makes his way downstairs for breakfast and I make sure he has something with him for lunch then say goodbye as he gets on the school bus. Next hubby stumbles downstairs, checks his email while he drinks the tea I’ve made him. He heads off to work and then it’s just me. Well, actually, it’s just me, three cats and a dog. I spend the day at the computer writing. If the weather’s nice, I’ll take a break midday and go to the beach with the dog then come home and get back to writing. Hmmm, not very glamorous when you see your routine in print. Don’t forget that I’m wearing an evening gown and high heels, full makeup and sexy lingerie while writing. That goes without saying.

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?

The books I’ve been writing the last year or so are all related to places or events I’ve gone to for research like the largest gay spa in Toronto, a gay bondage bed and breakfast and the largest single fetish night in the world. So I’m finding that I go to an event or a place and when I come home I begin to assemble a story in my head that is set somewhere similar to where I’ve been or uses equipment or techniques I saw. The whole book is planned in my head. I envision what the plot will be and then have specific events in the story that I write to.

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

The physical writing is definitely too slow to suit me. I’m not a fast typist so I can’t write as fast as I think. That frustrates me sometimes. As for my writing style, I can’t just slap a story down and send it off. I reread what I wrote the previous session and see things I want to change. I spend a lot of time on sex scenes and figuring out positions and just what the participants are going to do when they’re together.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned since starting work in this industry?

I’m not a person who works well to deadline. I like to work away on my own projects and seldom do any anthologies as I don’t like to be pressured to finish by a particular date. The pressure to work and finish would be coming from me, not from an editor or other writers.

What are you working on now?

Last year I had a book released with Ellora’s Cave called Something Naughty This Way Comes. It’s the story of a woman who gets to spend the evening at the largest gay spa in Toronto playing and making love with two gorgeous men. The one I’m working on now is tentatively called Something Trouble This Way Comes and is the story of the manager of Seduction. I’m hoping to do another story about the owner, but who knows what will happen. I work away on something and then suddenly I’ll remember another book I was working on and head back to it. We’ll just have to see.


What’s your favorite genre to write?

I love writing male/male and male/male/male erotic romance.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

I love Black Ops stuff like Cindy Gerard writes. I’m very fond of vampire stories and cop stories.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

I think Suzanne Brockmann is an incredible woman in so many ways. I love her books, but I love the way she lives her life.

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.
I attended a workshop entitled ‘How to Write a Romance Novel’ in October 2005 and began working on a book soon after that. I was hoping to be able to write at least 25,000 words. I finished in March of 2006 with a manuscript of 135,000 words. I submitted to four places and received three polite rejections. After making the changes suggested by an Ellora’s Cave editor on my first submission to her, I resubmitted the manuscript and the book was accepted in December 2006 and Lucifer’s Angel was released in April 2007.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

Lucifer’s Angel, Jude’s Choice, Absolute Trust, Something Naughty This Way Comes, Just Being Neighborly all with Ellora’s Cave. The Harder They Come, All Tied Up, Indulge Me in the Naughty Nooners anthology from Total-E-Bound.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

Indulge Me, from the Naughty Nooners anthology was released as a stand-alone ebook by Total-e-Bound in March and came out as an audio book in April. I was at a book signing in Michigan and a bunch of authors were all together at Cindy Spencer Pape’s house for a barbecue afterwards and I said I had an idea for a bunch of male/male stories I wanted to write that would all take place over a noon hour and the anthology would be called Naughty Nooners. I realized that I didn’t want to write each of the stories myself, so I asked the assembled writers if they’d like to be part of it. They said yes. You were there, Brynn!

I wrote to the publisher at Total-E-Bound and pitched the idea and she said go ahead. It was an amazing adventure to be part of an anthology with friends.

What’s your writing space like?

A semi-cluttered desk in the corner of the living room. Our 16 year old son used to watch TV and play Wii games etc in the same room, but all his stuff has been moved up to his loft bedroom, so it’s a lot quieter down here. Usually it’s just me and Max, our chocolate lab. From my writing spot, I have a wonderful view of my shoe desk calendar. That’s my morning ritual. I sit down and change the shoe picture to the current one and ooo and aah over the new photo. I have very simple pleasures.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Walk the dog. My husband and I both play Irish music. He plays fiddle and I play concertina, so we often get together with friends to play tunes. Once a month, or once every two months, I go to Toronto to do some weird and wonderful research. That’s my favorite thing to do. I’m heading down in June for the Pride Activities and in August I go to the Church Street Fetish Fair.

I’m all about ‘giving people something to talk about’. We all experience crazy things from time to time. Can you tell us something unusual that you’ve done or had happen to you?
I got to spend the entire day at Bent Inn in Toronto. It’s a gay bondage bed and breakfast with a full dungeon in the old Victorian basement. It was incredible.

Tell us… What’s your favorite movie and why?

The second and third Lord of The Rings movies. I read the books when I was younger and loved them and I love the spectacle of the movies. I watch the series every Christmas as part of my Christmas ritual. My family is very good to tolerate me, I know.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

Thanks to all the readers who support myself and other authors. You’re the lifeblood of writers. You’re who we write for.

Last questions… Coke or Pepsi? Coke

Summer or Winter? Summer

Cat person or Dog person? Love both.

Bronte or Austen? Bronte

Star Trek or Star Wars? Early Star Wars movies

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Who?

McDonalds or Burger King? Neither-I’ve been a vegetarian since 1981.

Kaenar, thank you for being here! Readers, you can find Kaenar here:

http://www.kaenar.com/
Kaenar Konfidential
Ellora's Cave
Total-e-bound

14 comments:

Nina Pierce said...

Hey Kaenar! *runs over for a tackle hug* Brynn, when you say Kaenar is one of the most genuine people ... you've said a mouthful. She's amazing (and yes, a tad on the crazy side). Loved the interview. One of these days I'm going to venture up to Canada so Kaenar can take me on one of her "research" trips to Toronto!

N.J.Walters said...

Great interview!

Bronwyn Green said...

Kaenar is one of the most amazing people I've ever met!!! Huge hugs for my favorite - beg your pardon - favourite pixie!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE Kaenar's books!

Kenzie Michaels

kaenar said...

Hey Nina,
Thanks for the tackle hug. You can give me one any time at all. Thank you for the lovely compliments as well. I'm waiting for you to cross the border and 'come to me'.
Kaenar

kaenar said...

Thanks, N.J. It was a lot of fun answering the questions.

kaenar said...

Hey Bron,
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the Canadian spelling. LOL

kaenar said...

Hey Kenzie,
It's so great to hear from you.
Kaenar

Teresa said...

Wonderful interview. I love Kaenar's books.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Kaenar,

I'm so happy that you didn't get discouraged when your 135,000 word novel was rejected!

And I'm jealous that you get to hang out in person with so many TEB authors!

Good luck with your latest pub.

Warmly,
Lisabet

Ali said...

Hi, Kaenar :)

I loved reading this interview *bg* How awesome to read about the places/events you've visited :)

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Kaenar! You're welcome to visit any time! Maybe next time while Glenn cooks, we can come up with another project!

Marie Carlson said...

This was a really fun and interesting interview. Thank you both for doing it.

I particularly like the story about about Naughty Nooners came together. What fun!

Regina Carlysle said...

Hey Crazy One!!!!! I can't believe I missed you here on Weds. Don't know where my brain was or where the week went! I hope hope you are coming to RomantiCon because I'm ready to hang out with you.