Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Tessie Bradford

Hey all! Today, I'm pleased to have Tessie Bradford with me as this week's Wednesday Wonder Writer. Read on to learn about this sassy new author:

Tessie, author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

“Intriguing” is not the first word I would choose to describe my typical day! I always aim to arrive at my office by 7am, count being there any time before 8am a victory, and thank my lucky stars that I work on flex time! First order of business when I get home is attending to my animal children. Then the phone starts ringing. I’m on call for my work until 7pm and some very important people in my life refuse to email! My husband and I both love to cook, so dinner is usually a joint effort. Trying to keep up with groups and blogs hopefully comes next. I strive to be lounging in bed, reading, and keeping an ear on a few favorite TV shows by 9pm. Notice that a typical week day doesn’t include nasty things like cleaning or laundry, nor does it include the wonderfully creative activity of working on a book!!!

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?

I announce to everyone, “I’m writing, don’t bug me unless your ass is on fire!”

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

All over the place! Many times I stare at a blank screen. If the mood is right and the planets are aligned, there are a few incredible times where my creative juices are allowed to flow regardless of life going on around me.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned since starting work in this industry?

I’ve learned more than one.
Stay true to your vision. Develop a thick skin. Ask for help. Listen to others. Remember how lucky you are.

What are you working on now?

I’ve gone back to a story I started last summer about an artist who runs a little boutique in a small town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and the retired Detroit cop who moves into town. I’m still not exactly sure where it’s going, but I really like the characters. I’m also playing around with a story of two alien brothers who find themselves stranded on Earth.

What’s your favorite genre to write?

Erotic romance is the only thing I write. Exploring the dynamics of relationships fascinates me.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

Well, I read my chosen genre the most – have to keep up with the competition, you know!! But I also really enjoy an “I’m sleeping with the lights on tonight” horror story, or a good mystery.

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.

I entered a contest in the sixth grade and won for my age group. Then my English teacher in junior high school asked me to adapt the book, A Wrinkle in Time, for the spring play. I loved writing! I went off to college, majoring in English Literature. After that came life, marriage, divorce, remarriage, kids, life. When my baby girl left for college and my son and his wife announced they were expecting our first grandbaby all at the same time, I panicked!! What the hell?? All of a sudden I was an empty nester, facing middle age, wondering what would define the next phase of my life. Enter my hubby. Tired of my crying, wallowing and bitching, he tossed out the gauntlet of me taking a risk to revisit my first love – writing. I finished Ageless Desires in six weeks, had my daughter on the phone and him standing next to me when I threw caution to the wind and hit the ‘send’ button to Ellora’s Cave. 27 days later, they offered me a contract.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

Ageless Desires, Oasis of Pleasure and the newly contracted The Lady’s Not a Vamp are with Ellora’s Cave. Training Randi and Possessing Eleanor are with Resplendence Publishing.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

Possessing Eleanor released March 23, 2010. After writing the very dominant, Argon commander Hagan in Oasis, I wanted to further explore the D/s relationship in the real world.

What’s your writing space like?

A cluttered, small desk in the corner of my family room, right next to the 35 gallon fish tank. The sound of the bubbling water is very soothing, and my freakishly personality-filled fish babies provided constant entertainment as I watch them when I should be writing!

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Besides obsessing about the fact that I should be writing? I do the bare minimum to keep my house presentable, preside over the maintenance of the family’s sometimes precarious ‘financial fluidity’, read, cook and attempt to micro-manage the lives of those I love so that said lives are made better!

All kidding aside, animal rescue, fostering and legal issues are a big part of my family’s life. We work closely with our local shelters to speak for and take care of those who can’t do so for themselves. Over the years we have been blessed to share our home and hearts with a vast array of the most magnificent, entertaining and loving souls. Currently, my household is controlled by three wonderful animals. Mandy, an older than dirt cat, rules absolutely. Rex, a 55 pound pit bull terrier of crazy macho male goodness provides comic relief until he sees a laundry basket, or garbage bag, or hears yelling, because then he dissolves into a quivering mass of shaking fear due to being abused. Maggie, our beautiful baby, just turned four years old, despite the odds against her. She is also a pitty mix, and is an innocent victim of irresponsible breeding. Her medical issues are catastrophic, but she adds such joy to our daily lives that we thank our lucky stars for having her with us.

Tell us… What’s your favorite movie and why?

Jeez, I need to lighten up – I’ve been agonizing over answering this question!! My father was a huge movie expert/fan. Some of my fondest memories are of us getting dressed to the nines to attend an opening night in New York or Detroit, us excitedly putting a VHS tape in the ‘new machine’, or finally, watching a DVD. His knowledge and love of the media was contagious. In honor of him, I will say, Gone with the Wind.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

Yes there is – I’m thrilled to have them!! ‘Thank you’ doesn’t begin to express how much it means to me that people read my books!

Last questions…
Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi

Summer or Winter? Winter

Cat person or Dog person? Both! The more the merrier.

Bronte or Austen? Neither.

Star Trek or Star Wars? I’m a hard core fan of both. I watch the old, the new, the movies, the TV series and even the cartoons. Back in the day, I was forced attend the opening day of Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan alone due to my friends being weenies. I dragged my husband to each re-release of the original Star Wars movies. Despite owning all the movies for both franchises, I get giddy as a schoolgirl when a cable channel runs a marathon. Recently, I was the first in line at the Detroit Science Center for the hands on exhibit of original Star Trek sets, and have the pictures to prove it! I was completely bummed when hubby wouldn’t allow me to enter our names in the “Win a Wedding on the Bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise” contest. Oh sorry, did you want a shorter answer to this question? As my brother delights in telling me; “Take it down a notch, your geek juice just splattered me!”

Team Edward or Team Jacob? I don’t play team sports.

McDonalds or Burger King? White Castle.

Tessie, thanks for being here today! Readers, you can find Tessie at:

http://www.tessiebradford.com/
http://www.sevensexyscribes.blogspot.com

16 comments:

Katalina Leon said...

I love Tessie Bradford! She and her heroines are generous, courageous and genuine. I'm really looking forward to The Lady's Not a Vamp!
XXOO Kat

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Great interview ladies! Tessie, I love your books! I'm so glad you're still writing!

Bronwyn Green said...

YAY Tessie! I knew I adored you, but I adore you even more now that I know about your animal rescue work!!! You AND your stories rock, woman!!!!

Anny Cook said...

Yay, Tessie! I'm also a White Castle girl! Excellent interview, woman!

Lyla Sinclair www.lylasinclair.com said...

You had me until Pepsi...but I can forgive you since you do so much for animals. One of ours was rescued from abusers and has turned out to be the sweetest dog I've ever had.

Continued good fortune with the writing!

Amber Skyze said...

YAY Tessie! Love this interview, ladies.

Tessie Bradford said...

Kat, Cindy, Bron, Anny, Lyla, Amber -
Thanks so much for stopping by!

Brynn - I had so much fun doing this interview! Thank you for having me!!

April Ash said...

Great interview...learned a lot about you!
And, I LOVE your speech to everyone when you get ready to write...I never thought of saying that but it probably would help!
Marianne/April

Molly Daniels said...

My comment disappeared! It was something like,

"SOOO looking forward to your books Tessie:)"

Trying this again...

Regina Carlysle said...

LOL @ the whole...ass on fire thing.

Tessie Bradford said...

April, Molly, Regina- I discovered when I was writing Ageless Desires that my family could ignore me completely until I sat down at the computer and then they wouldn't leave me alone! I had to come up with something effective!

Molly Daniels said...

It's the whole 'we don't need you, but we feel you need us, so if we notice you're ignoring us, then we must regain your attention at all cost' mentality both kids and husbands/life partners seem to share. How dare we actually have interests of our own? LOL!

Computer=telephone=book=TV...I could clean house all day without hearing a word from anyone, but the minute I sit down, someone 'MUST HAVE' my undivided attention.

Tessie Bradford said...

Molly, the worst part is even my dogs do it!! I sit down at the computer and they either get into a scuffle, or need to go outside, or need to come inside, or keep nudging my arm because they need to be petted right that second, or drop a ball in my lap...!!!

Ashley Ladd said...

Beautiful covers! Awesome books.

I don't have my MMF up yet. I'll try for a bit later. This bronchitis and the meds for it are really knocking me out.

Tessie Bradford said...

Thanks, Ashley. I certainly hope you feel better soon!

Mia Watts said...

TESSIE!!!! I didn't know you were here! OMG I would have stopped by sooner. I love, love, love you, girl.

Okay, just have to say I think this is the best line. EVER: I announce to everyone, “I’m writing, don’t bug me unless your ass is on fire!”

And having met your other half, he's a fantastic guy. Gotta say, he's a genius to have thrown down that gauntlet. And you are a brave woman to have picked it up and kicked your fears to the curb. Never stop writing. Never.