Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Kenzie Michaels

Good morning! Okay, it's been nuts around here, finishing up books and doing admin work. I have a fabulous wonder writer on deck today! Kenzie Michaels is perhaps one of the sweetest writers I know. She's fun, loyal, dedicated and hard-working. I'm pleased she's visiting us today. So here's Kenzie!

Kenzie, author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

LOL…I haven’t had a ‘typical’ schedule since last fall! My ideal schedule is to get the kids off to school, get on the internet and do my blogging and email, then put on the music and write until it’s time to pick up my youngest. However, with the husband home, any writing is accomplished after he’s satisfied I know he’s alive. Don’t laugh; I take the youngling to school; come home and get on the internet; drink my last cup of coffee and answer my email. By then, the husband is usually awake, so we talk about what we have planned, be it going to the bank, the store, or as the case right now, what last minute preparations for our oldest’s HS graduation entails. As you might guess, I love when he returns to work and my time is my own again!

[LOL! I believe this is the tale of most married writers, Kenzie. Mr. Inspiration requires the same careful care.]

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?


It depends. Usually, I review what I’ve written the day before and the ideas flow. Other times, I’ll type up what I’ve written in longhand. I always have a glass of iced tea on the stove, which forces me to get up and move periodically.


What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

All over the place! If the story if flowing, I’ll write non-stop. Otherwise, the words have to be coaxed out of my brain like a stubborn two year old in the midst of a colossal tantrum! And that’s never fun. I do have many WIPS in various stages of development, so when the ideas are stagnant, I visit each one in hopes of jump-starting my unpredictable muse.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned since starting work in this industry?

Definitely having thick skin. And remembering that not everyone will ‘get’ my sense of humor unless I make it obvious!

What are you working on now?

Besides waiting for edits on Teacher’s Pet, I’ve been invited to be a part of an anthology called ‘1000 Words’. We were given a picture and told to write a 1000 word story based on that picture. I’m in the revision process; I couldn’t tell if it was two men and one female or vice-versa, so I wrote a MFM story. Turns out it needs to be FMF, hahahaha…and the characters aren’t cooperating.

I’m also doing research for a weird storyline which popped into my head three weeks ago. I’ve got the basic story sketched out, but am needing to fill in some accurate details. And I’m also trying to write the third chapter of my Model Behavior wip, which involves a Christian Inspy author who falls for an Erotic Romance cover model.

What’s your favorite genre to write?

Contemporary romance, hands down. I tried the sci-fi genre once and failed miserably.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

I like medical thrillers, such as Robin Cook and Michael Palmer. And I also enjoy John Grisham’s legal thrillers. VC Andrews’ books. John Irving. And lately I’ve discovered a taste for shifter stories from Regina Carlysle, Brynn Paulin, and Anny Cook. I think you’ve heard of these ladies, (snicker!) [um...perhaps. I may have to do a web search ;-) ]

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.

I’ve been writing stories since age eleven, and dreamed of seeing my work in the kiddie magazine Jack and Jill. I don’t know if my mom ever sent my story off or if it was politely rejected, but everyone who read that particular story loved it. All during high school, I journaled, and wrote stories in English class. But in college, I really began to seriously write, and my roommates encouraged me.

In 2007, a friend told me about an online writer’s group. I joined; met other authors who led me to other authors, who promptly sparked my interest in the Erotic Romance genre. I was soon challenged to see if I could increase and maintain the heat level, and I wrote four erotic stories. August 2008 I submitted two of them; got rejected; turned around and submitted one of them to Freya’s Bower. In October, I was offered a conditional contract; in January 2009, All She Ever Wanted was accepted and was released in May. I had hoped Teacher’s Pet would be accepted and released the same year, but the file was damaged and I ended up submitting it twice before it was accepted last December. I’m still waiting for edits to arrive, but in the meantime, I’ve already submitted two more stories and hope to hear news soon. I’d like to have two releases this year, before my name drops from everyone’s radar.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

As Kenzie, just All She Ever Wanted, with Freya’s Bower. My alter-ego, who writes Women’s Fiction, self-published two books which are on amazon.com.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

Teacher’s Pet was my first attempt at an erotic romance. My son had an awesome history teacher in junior high, who made my heart rate increase every time I saw him. It turned out I’d met him briefly at the ball field during baseball practice, and during our first parent-teacher conference, I was praying I sounded like a mature adult, rather than a teenager with her first crush! Two years later, I decided to fictionalize that meeting at the ball field and see if I was comfortable with buzz words and maintaining a sizzling heat level, rather than sensual. I made it my NaNo project, and finally worked up the nerve to submit it.

What’s your writing space like?

My desk is the epitome of organized chaos.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Read, read, and read some more. Watch my DVR’d television episodes. Drive everyone batty because I’m creatively blocked, lol!

I also spend time on chat loops, promoting myself and raving about books I’ve read and loved. And every summer, I set up at local festivals and try to sell my print books, as well as showing off my ‘traveling library’ of my favorite authors, to bring awareness to the electronic books. This year, I’ll have my Sony Pocket e-reader, so I can show how to read the books, rather than just telling people “I download them to my computer and read them that way.” Last year, several people turned up their noses at the thought of reading books on the computer.

[I have a Sony eReader. I love love love love it!!! I hope you'll love yours, too. I use mine everywhere--including the store checkout lane]

Tell us… What’s your favorite movie and why?


Three way tie between Star Wars, The Notebook, and This Is Spinal Tap. Star Wars because I fell in love with Harrison Ford at the tender age of 12; The Notebook, because of the beautiful love story it portrays; and Spinal Tap because it’s just hilarious, not to mention the awesome one-liners in it! Yeah, I have a quirky sense of humor…

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

I love hearing from you! I didn’t know All She Ever Wanted was going to end up being a trilogy until a reader emailed me and asked me to write Brian’s story. So I did…and the characters of a completely unrelated WIP showed up. Bam…instant trilogy!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last questions… Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi

Summer or Winter? Summer! That’s when the husband is usually at work.

Cat person or Dog person? Both. I just had to put my beloved Black Lab down. We still have a Cocker Spaniel, a cat, and two domesticated rats. [HUGS! I'm sorry to hear about yoru dog!]

Bronte or Austen? Honestly? I tried to read them but found myself skimming. I’m more of a Nora Roberts fan.

Star Trek or Star Wars? Both. Like Tessie, I’m thrilled whenever a marathon of Trek episodes, and would love to own the DS9 series. Okay, who am I kidding? All the episodes…original, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise! And yes, I own both the VHS and DVD versions of Star Wars!

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Jacob, hands down. Edward makes me shiver and I don’t like to be cold. I want to curl up with a warm body!

McDonalds or Burger King? McD fries and sweet tea; BK burgers, Wendy’s Frosty.

Teacher’s Pet blurb:

Tammy Saunders is horrified when she realizes the man who set her heart racing is her son's favorite teacher. With one bad relationship behind her, will she trust her heart again, or will she continue to deny her feminine side?

And is this particular teacher popular only with his students? Kevin has made some bad choices in his life, but sleeping with not only one, but now two, of his students' mothers, has got to be the worst mistake he ever made. Especially when he realizes he's lost his heart to one of them.

My new editor did email me at the beginning of the month, so hopefully soon I’ll find edits in my inbox. Looks like I’ll be working during the summer, as well as promoting!

Thanks so much for having me Brynn!

Kenzie, thanks for being here!!! Readers, here's where you can find Kenzie:

All She Ever Wanted: Available HEE.

My temporary website: www.mollydaniels.wordpress.com

Blog: http://kenziemichaels.blogspot.com

12 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Howdy Molly/Kenzie! Great interview!

Molly Daniels said...

Hey Kenz...you left out Cindy Spencer Pape's awesome shifters! Tsk tsk...

Kenzie Michaels said...

(head slap) Blame the husband for constant interruptions while I was being interviewed!

Thank you Brynn:) Can't wait to meet you some day!

And I LOVE my Sony Reader! I've got two of your books (Phantom's Pleasure and Two Plus One) waiting to be read.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Great interview, ladies.

Kenzie, I SO feel for you on the loss of your beloved Lucky. Big hugs.

Molly, thanks for the plug. ;-)

Amber Skyze said...

First, big hugs on the loss of Lucky.

I soooooooo understand the DH thing. They can be pesty! LOL

Wonderful interview, ladies.

Bronwyn Green said...

Huge hugs on the loss of Lucky.

"the words have to be coaxed out of my brain like a stubborn two year old in the midst of a colossal tantrum" Brilliant description - I'm in the midst of this right now - lol!

Kenzie Michaels said...

Amber: If I don't get off in a timely manner, mine threatens to pull the plug on the power strip.

Bron: Hugs...can you tell I have a (stubborn) six year old? LOL!

Kenzie Michaels said...

Anny and Cindy, thanks for dropping by:) Didn't mean to ignore you...Yes, yesterday was a weepy day in the household, but I also received a request for the entire MS of Class Reunion, the sequel to ASEW:) So it was a well balanced day:)

Brynn Paulin said...

Congrats on your request!

Kenzie Michaels said...

Fingers crossed I hear back soon! I also pitched a story last week on a publishing loop and within an hour the full MS was requested. Waiting to hear back on that one too:)

Liz Flaherty said...

Great interview!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Liz:)

Kenzie