Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Jude Mason

Good morning everyone!! I'm excited to have the very talented and prolific Jude Mason visiting my blog today! This was a fun interview and be sure to check out the new questions and leave Jude a comment to let her know you stopped by! ~~Brynn

Author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

This is going to be so dull. I get up around 8 AM, do the bathroom routine and have a cup of coffee while going through email. Breakfast is oatmeal with a bit of fruit and then I’m off to writing/editing or whatever I’m working on at the time. I work until I’m hungry, stop for lunch, then I’m back at it again.

Sometime during the morning, I’ll normally stop and chat via messenger to Jenna Byrnes, my writing partner, and I may stop for a little while to yack with hubby, but writing is my job and I love it, so that’s where you’ll find me most weekdays at least.

After dinner, I spend time with hubby, family, visit friends and such. I feed my deer and the raccoons that show up and maybe watch a little TV.

That’s about it. Or, I could make up a story for you all. *G*

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?

Nope, the only think I do tend to have is coffee at hand. Going over emails, talking to Jenna, that pretty much gets me into the mood. I will read a few pages of what I wrote the day before, just to bring myself up to speed, but that’s it.

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

Yes, all of the above at different times. LOL! Seriously, I’ve been writing for a very long time and I’ve done all of them. I like to think I’m fairly prolific, but I’m not a fast writer. If I reach 3000 words in a day, that’s a very good day for me.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned since starting work in this industry?

Only one? Gulp! Several years ago I was published by a small British e-Pub, which has now gone by the way of many small e-Pubs. The owner and I got to be friends. We got talking one day and he let loose with a rant that I’ll remember forever, I’m sure. He said he got dozens of submissions a day, but very often deleted them unread. The reason, the authors didn’t follow guidelines.

He had manuscripts sent to him that were in a genre he didn’t publish, or without contact information, some he couldn’t even open because they’d been sent in some off the wall format, others were formatted so outrageously he couldn’t read them. The list was incredible.

I learned then to make sure to follow the guidelines to a T if at all possible. If I can’t find the guides or contact information to get it, I’ll make sure I format my submission so the editor knows I’m easily accessible and very willing to format the work in whatever way he or she likes. If a publisher is looking for science fiction/BDSM/with aliens instead of humans, I’d never dream of sending them a western.

My publisher friend told me that well over 50% of the submissions he got were deleted unread. 50%! That’s huge. So, if you simply format correctly, send the right genre, you’re way more likely to get accepted. Oh, and never send a rough draft.

What are you working on now?

Oh a brand new serial my publisher at Total E-Bound wants. A mostly gay, futuristic, Mad Max type Doc/medicine man who can’t help being a good guy, even when it gets him into trouble.

When I approached my publisher with the idea of doing an apocalyptic type series, she was thrilled with the idea. I sent her two rough scenarios for the first two books and she wanted me to get started right away. So, I’ve got Daybreak 2121: Doc in the works. Daybreak 2121: Jazz will be the next book and from there, it’s anyone’s guess.

What’s your favorite genre to write?

At the moment, I’m writing mostly m/m and love it with a passion, but I also adore femdom erotica.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

I was raised on science fiction, and still read it when I have time. Heinlein, McCaffrey, Bradley, and dozens more are all very familiar names.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

Jenna Byrnes! I know, I write with this woman and get to see all the rough drafts and listen to her doubts about herself, but, her stories, her characters are awesome.

M. Christian. He’s amazing. His characters are the everyday kind of guys or gals who have extraordinary things happen. Even his more ‘off the wall’ works, the characters are people you really can get into.

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.

This is a question I’ve tried to answer before. I never decided to write. I am a writer. The question doesn’t have any meaning. It would be like me asking you when you decided to take up breathing. There was no ‘call’, no sudden realization, I have always told stories.

As for when I first got published, that’s different. I never dreamed anyone would actually be interested in the stories I wrote until I got on the internet. That was in about 1997-98. It took me about a year to figure out e-publishing and the ins and outs of it before I even attempted submitting something. In the end, I was encouraged to send something to that publisher guy I told you about. He returned it to me, with a bunch of editing suggestions. I worked at them, resubbed it and bingo, I was published in 1999.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

It’s a whole lot easier to simply send you my backlist. Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve had stories in dozens of anthologies. Some are still around, some aren’t. I’ve had chapter books published on a variety of websites. E-books turned into print.

If you’re interested in checking this out, try here:
http://www.my-haven2001.com/Backlist/JudeMasonbacklist.pdf

It doesn’t list all of the books I’ve ever had published, but it’ll give you an idea.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

The most recent publication is a short story of about 7ooo words I have at Silver Publications. Silver is a new house and one I wanted to test out, so the short story is my way of seeing how things go. So far, very good. The idea for this one came from a picture I saw of an old school hallway. I could picture Jonathan there and bingo, the story was born. Here’s the blurb for it:

Second Chance

Jonathan Drake, once hell raiser bad boy, returns to the institution where he was saved from a life of crime. This time he's there to ask for his son's admittance. A son who seemed bent on repeating Dad's mistakes.

Headmistress Catherine Bynder, turns out to be the daughter of a previous principle and remembers him with more than fondness. She's after more than school fees, and isn't afraid to go after him. What begins as an interview and application, soon turns into so much more.

Sparks fly between the two, but will too many unfulfilled years keep these two from their second chance?

What’s your writing space like?
Here's a picture.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I’m a huge fan of wild animals and the outdoors. I live very close to the woods and beach and take advantage whenever possible. I also have deer and raccoons who come to visit most evenings so they’re my company when hubby’s busy with his photography. Add a couple of very busy grandsons and my life is very much filled up.

I’m all about ‘giving people something to talk about’. We all experience crazy things from time to time. Can you tell us something unusual that you’ve done or had happen to you?

Being the avid outdoors person I am, I’ve had a lot to do with fishing, hunting and managing wildlife in one way or another over the years. I’ve taught outdoor education and the laws of owning firearms in the province. I’ve also assisted in moving animals who have become endangered in one area to another. Sounds exciting, but in reality it’s a lot of very hard work. Learning about them was fascinating and I try to use what I’ve learned in my writing.

Tell us… What’s your favorite movie and why?
Honestly, I’m not a huge movie fan, but when I saw Avatar, I was in love. The entire movie had me on the edge of my seat.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

You are the most important part of this whole process. Without readers, the author is simply entertaining him/herself. The stories need to be read. I can’t thank the readers enough. I adore what I do, and can’t see myself ever not writing. Knowing the stories I create will find their way to a reader’s computer or e-reader, amazes me. Thank you for being out there.

Last questions… Coke or Pepsi? Coke, diet please

Summer or Winter? Yes, both have amazing elements, so I’m not even going to try to pick one

Cat person or Dog person? Cat, well except for Meg and she’s not really a dog.

Bronte or Austen? Brontë

Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Trek

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Uh, can I just say yes here, pullllleeeeze!

McDonalds or Burger King? Neither

Jude! Thanks for being here today. Readers, you can find Jude at:

Her website.
Her yahoo loop.
Her blog.

10 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

Great interview ladies! I'm suuuuuuuuuper jealous of where you live! The beach *and* the woods?! How blissful. :)

Jude Mason said...

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks so much. You'll hate me more now. In that picture, if I turn around 180 degrees, I'll be looking at the island mountains, the ski hills. I do live in paradise. I remind myself of that when the snow flies. LOL

Thanks for dropping by!

Hugs

Mia Watts said...

Wonderful interview. And for the record, when I reach 3k, I call myself fast. Just so ya know you're faster than you think. ;)

Nichelle Gregory said...

Jude,

3000K is a very good day! Your writing routine sounds peaceful and unimaginable as a mom of two little ones! Congrats, on your upcoming releases! :)

Jude Mason said...

Hi Mia,

Yeah, 3K is a nice number to hit. I read that Stephan King slogs through 5K before he stops every day. It makes me glad I'm not him. LOL

Thanks for dropping in hon.

Hugs

Jude Mason said...

Hi Nichelle,

Having 2 little ones around can sure put a damper on the writing. Mine are grown now, so that's my excuse. I now have grandchildren to deal with, but only on occasion, so yup, I'm very lucky.

Take care and thanks for dropping by.

Hugs

Chloe Waits said...

Hey Jude, loved getting a peek at your writing space, very cool. I am surprised about the 50 percent deletion rate, yikes! Must be a pain to be publisher sometimes!
take care!

Genella deGrey said...

Hi Girlies! waving*
Fun interview!
:)
G.

Jude Mason said...

Hi Chloe,

It surprised me too, big time. It's a lesson that's stayed with me. Learn what the publisher wants and give him or her exactly that and you'll get fewer and fewer rejection slips. Not saying you won't get any, but at least you'll get read. LOL

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Hugs

susan said...

Your day sounds busy and think the coffee has to be there for that extra push. I sure can see why you like where you live..both worlds in one place. I am in the woods and wild life surrounds me including black bears but the biggest water I have is a small stream alongside of the yard. susan L.