Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Dakota Rebel

Good morning everyone! I'm thrilled to have another of my original Wonder Writers, Dakota Rebel, on the blog. Dakota last visited us in February of 2008. A lot can change in two years so I'm excited to see what she's up to now.



Dakota, author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

My schedule is wonky and about as non-intriguing as you can get. I have a day job, so M-F I get up at Early O’Clock and get the Jr. ready for school. When her bus leaves I head off to the day job until 5pm. I get home and start dinner while Jr. goes to Karate. We have dinner and sit down as a family to watch Jeopardy. I usually answer emails and check FaceBook until 9pm when I drop into bed exhausted.

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

I am the definition of all over the place. With the above schedule you’ll have to have noticed I didn’t mention when I write. Well lately, I haven’t been doing a whole lot of it. I usually try to squeeze some writing time on the weekends in which I am a flurry of word count trying to create books as quickly as possible while trying to keep them from sucking hard core. In the bad way.

What are you working on now?

Technically I am working on the 3rd installment of the Lost and Found series. It is titled Clandestine and is about the forbidden relationship between Trevor and a new arrival. It is a M/M again and I’m hoping it goes smoothly. (I say technically because I haven’t actually started it yet. But it is next on the to be written list.)

What’s your favorite genre to write?

M/M has definitely caught my imagination lately. I just adore the stories I can create between two strong, bull-headed men.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

I love horror novels and non-erotic romance. My shelves are covered in tattered Stephen King books and loved-to-destruction copies of Laurell K Hamilton books. (Anita Blake only, thank you.) I am not a huge fan of YA, but I do love me some Harry Potter. I still re-read the whole series every year.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

I have so many. Alison Tyler and Sommer Marsden were the two women who made me want to write erotica. But Stephen King made me want to write in general. I have so many friends who have pushed, pulled, and dragged me to my computer when I was down and I wouldn’t have survived the last two years without them. Brynn, Bronwyn, Mia, Carol…you’ve been so inspirational and supportive. I love you guys.

You’ve told us your writing story before, but tell us about what you’ve learned since you were first published.

I have learned to be particular. Not every plot idea has a story behind it. Write the ones that nag at you to be written. If you have an idea and it doesn’t bite your ass and make you sit down and start typing, you will not love the finished product. For me. I know there are people who can struggle through a book and end up with something fantastic. But I can’t do that. I know which stories I should have left alone, and I just know that my readers can too.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

Is it bad that I had to go and check? I’ve had 7 single titles and 3 anthologies printed by Total E Bound and 3 books with Resplendence Publishing. So…13 total titles.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

My latest release is Wolf in Men’s Clothing. It is part of the Not Quite Wicked series that I was honored to be a part of with Mia Watts, Brynn Paulin, and Bronwyn Green. The premise of the series is that perhaps the villains of fairy tales were not quite as wicked as they were perceived in the original tellings.

Wolf in Men’s Clothing is a M/M version of Little Red Riding Hood. It was really fun to write. This was one of those ideas that grabbed me and wouldn’t let go until the story was done.

Where’s your favorite place to write?

I have a fantastic office. When we bought our house I had the back room painted black and white and applied horror movie border, and all of my book covers are framed in red and hanging on the wall. I have a beautiful desk. It is glass with the word ‘love’ etched in it in many different languages. I love my office. But I don’t know if I’ve written a single word in there.

My favorite place to write is on the couch, in my Snuggie (leopard print of course) next to my husband while he watches sports on TV.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I work, check email, read books and hang out with my family. It also seems like I grocery shop every day. How is that possible? We are a family of 3 (and a half I suppose). We can’t possibly go through as many groceries as it seems like we do. Please tell me I am not alone in this!

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

I would like to share this little tidbit of information that Bronwyn Green shared with me a couple of weeks ago. Jason Earles, who plays Jackson on Hannah Montana…is a 32 year old man. I think people need to know this information. He is a strange man/child and it freaked me out. Still does. So I feel it is my duty to tell others.

Last questions…
Coke or Pepsi? Iced Tea with lots of ice.

Bronte or Austen? Stoker. (Sorry, I’m really not big on too many classics. I know that makes me a horrible person, but I’m willing to accept that.)

Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Trek. When I was younger I was either going to be a writer, an actress or have Data’s android babies. I am a Trekkie all the way.

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Edward. I have to go with the vampires. Besides, I have loved Rob since he played Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter. I can overlook a few sparkles.

McDonalds or Burger King? Both? And can I throw in Wendys too? What? I’m pregnant, I am SO allowed to indulge right now.

Thanks for being here Dakota! It was a joy as always and congrats on the upcoming baby!!! Readers, here's where you can find Ms. Dakota Rebel:

http://dakotarebel.blogspot.com/

http://www.dakotarebel.com/

~~Brynn

8 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

I'm so glad Wednesday Wonder Writer is back - yay Brynn! And yay Dakota!

I love that you own up to writing in a snuggie. I also love that you think the Jason Earles info is creepy enough to share with the world.

Bronwyn Green said...

I know it's been back for a while now - I'm just thoroughly enjoying it. :D

Molly Daniels said...

Glad to see you're doing well, D:) When are you due?

I have to say, you're the only author who's held my interet in vamps. Twilight series was good, but I'm on Team Jacob. I like your warm vamps muuuuch better! I don't 'shiver' when I read yours!

Regina Carlysle said...

Soooo excited about Baby Dakota and enjoy the Wendy's while you are allowed to actually EAT. :-)

I know what you mean about a story just grabbing you. Lately I've found myself writing stories because I HAVE to rather than WANT to and that sucks. So I totally get that. I'm ready for a story to unfurl in my mind and beg me to write it. That hasn't happened in awhile for me.

barbara huffert said...

What a wonderful interview!

Kris Norris said...

What? Wendy's? Does this mean you aren't puking your guts out like some of us did? No midnight dry heaves where you know you only have water in there anyway?

Okay, sorry... some bad memories took hold.

Congrats on the great career thus far and on the upcoming addition. Enjoy it all and I hope the bundle of joy allows you to write... your fans would be so disappointed, though totally understanding.

kris

Fran Lee said...

Great interview, ladies! these interviews are so much fun!

Dakota Rebel said...

Sorry I was AWOL when the interview went up. I was actually, as Kris so lovingly put it, puking my guts out for a week straight. I had an infection that was making me oh so incredibly sick.

Thank you everyone for stopping by to read up on little old me. Sorry again that I didn't stop by to say hello when the interview first went live.

I am due in August and very excited to get my hands on baby Dakota part II. The Jr. is also very excited to have a little brother or sister after waiting sooooo long. (They will be almost 12 years apart.)

Anyway, I am feeling much better now and back to eating everything I can get my hands on. lol.

Thanks for the interview Brynn. I really enjoyed being able to do it again.