Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Cindy Spencer Pape

Hey everyone! It's Wednesday Wonder Writer day and today I have Super Cindy Spencer Pape joining me on the blog. Now I've never seen her in a cape--I have seen her in wings--but I'm sure after reading her interview, you'll agree with me that she should be classified as a super heroine. Without further ado...the interview:

Cindy, author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

Typical? What’s that? Okay, on most weekdays, I get up early, shove the dh and youngest son out the door, check my email, blogs, etc., and go back to bed. Then I get up at 9 or 10 and write until everyone comes home again. Or…I sit at my computer, tell myself I’m writing, and do email, promo, Facebook, or anything else that doesn’t actually count as writing.

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?

Nope. There’s usually Diet Coke at hand and some kind of music. That’s about it.

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

All over the place, absolutely. All depends on life, the way the book(s) is(are) going, and a zillion other variables.

What are you working on now?

Too many things—though this is normal for me. 1) Steampunk/Gaslight Fantasy novel…no idea where this one is going yet. 2) Eagle’s Redemption: part of a trilogy for Ellora’s Cave with Regina Carlysle and Desiree Holt, that SHOULD be done by the time this interview is posted. 3) Second book in my historical series for EC 4) Second book in my Detroit Fae series for Carina Press 5) Pride of the Panther, book 3 in my Guardians series for TEB.

For those who don’t recognize the term, can you explain what Steampunk is?

Steampunk is a fun up and coming genre, based on the premise that computers were invented in the 1850s, hence in the age of steam power rather than electricity. You get the feel of Victoriana, but with fun toys like robots and zeppelins and anything else you can imagine mixing in.

You have a lot of books in the works. Generally, how many do you usually have out per year?

It varies a lot depending on length. In the last couple years, it’s averaged about 10-12.

What’s your favorite genre to write?

Mainly paranormal, though I’m having a lot of fun with historical right now…also intrigued by combining the two.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

In addition to my romance addiction, I read some mystery and fantasy, and a wee bit of SF [sci-fi]. Within romance, I like paranormal, historical, and romantic suspense. Mostly HOT, but occasionally not so much.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

Many.

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.

Huh. Hard to say. Somewhere in the 90s I was bored and decided to make a serious stab at writing a novel. In 2000 I finished, and submitted said (really horrible) novel, and in 2001, I joined RWA, which is about when I decided to really consider myself an aspiring author. First actual sale didn’t come until 2006, but then I sold to three different publishers within three months, so it’s been pretty much full-steam-ahead since then.

What did you do/how did you react when you made your first sale? Which publisher was the first to accept your work?

My first sale was to the now-defunct Triskelion Publishing. I screamed when I read the email. My kids came running upstairs to see what was wrong. My husband, who was on a business call at the time, said to his contact, “Well, I’m guessing my wife just sold a book.”

How many books have you had published and for whom?

You asked, remember that: Sales so far = 32
Wild Rose Press: 7 (5 western, 1 modern paranormal, 1 historical paranormal)
Resplendence Publishing: 1 (erotic romance short story in an anthology)
Total-E-Bound: 4 (erotic paranormal, including 1 m/m by my alter-ego, Cian Fey)
Cerridwen Press: 1 (paranormal)
Ellora’s Cave: 17 plus 1 pending release. (15 paranormal erotic romances, two erotic historical romances)
Carina Press: 1 paranormal romance, pending launch date this summer

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

At the time of this posting, I **think** my newest release should be “Awakening Augusta,” the first of a historical erotic romance series for Ellora’s Cave. How did I get the idea? I honestly have no idea. I just like to play with different genres and wanted to have some historical fun. [On side note, Cindy found out Tuesday that her book Dani's Demons will be released February 5 from Ellora's Cave.]

Blurb: Regency Scotland can be a lonely place, but Augusta MacLeish has four mischievous younger siblings for company—now if she only had money to feed them! Colin Fordyce has recently inherited an earldom, along with five wards in a remote Scottish castle. When he travels up there, he discovers his predecessor was skimming their funds. He also learns the oldest Miss MacLeish is absolutely stunning. A knock to his head leaves him seeing two of the buxom beauty, just as one kiss from her tempting lips leaves him longing for more. A night spent together forces Colin and Augusta to marry, leaving them all the opportunity in the world to explore the sexual hunger between them. Colin delights in teaching Augusta all the pleasures of the flesh, awakening the wanton lover beneath her ladylike veneer. From Scotland to London, the flames burning between them refuse to be doused, and oh how they will set the Ton on fire.

What’s your writing space like?


There is no such thing in my house. Mostly I write at the kitchen table, occasionally on the couch or in the summer, on the back deck, if I can get the umbrella to shade the screen just right.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Read. Hang out with other writers as much as possible. Play silly games online and pretend I’m working.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

I’m really excited about the Carina Press launch later this summer and to have been one of the very first authors they acquired. I’ve been trying to find just the right home for my series set in Detroit for quite a long time.

Last questions…

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Coke, preferably with lime. LOTS of Diet Coke.

Bronte or Austen? Charlotte Bronte, yes, Emily Bronte, no. Jane Austen, BIG yes.

Star Trek or Star Wars? Which series or episodes? Liked Next Gen okay, didn’t and DS-9, not so much the other series. Star Wars the originals, yes. The new ones…ewwwwwww!

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Say what? Oh. That Twilight thing. Shudder.

McDonalds or Burger King? Mickey’s still has the best French fries. Sigh. Shouldn’t do either.

Where can readers find you?

Website: http://www.cindyspencerpape.com
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/cindyspencerpape
Newsletter Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cspapenewsgroup/
Blog: http://cindyspencerpape.blogspot.com/

26 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Brynn, thanks sooo much for having me with you today! Loads of fun being here.

And cape? Hmmmm. Don't think I own one of those. The wings, though, those will definitely be at RT again this year!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Oh--and that should be didn't MIND DS-9 so much...sorry, typos are all mine, not Brynn's!

Molly Daniels said...

I love both TNG and DS9. I like the earlier Voyager and some of the Enterprise shows; I've only seen a couple of the original ST shows, but nearly all the movies:)

GREAT interview! And Congrats on all the books!

darkangelauthor said...

Wonderful interview, Cindy (this comment written as I sit and pretend that I'm working as well!).

Warmly,
Linda

Tessie Bradford said...

Hey Cindy, fun interview - Love your books!

Bronwyn Green said...

I think you should rectify the cape thing - or at least get an awesome cloak. ;)

Wonderful interview, you guys! I love these peeks into the lives of my favorite authors. :)

James Goodman said...

Great interview. I always enjoy getting a glimpse into the life of fellow writers. :D

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Cindy,
Nice interview. I don't have the talent at writing erotica and envy your skill at combining paranormal and historical.

www.barbaraedwards.net

Fran Lee said...

YAY, Cindy! Can't wait for Dani's Demons! You know I have 90% of your books, right? Working on the other 10%. LOL!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Wow, thanks for all the great comments!

Stephani Hecht said...

Wonderful interview, Cindy! I can't wait to read the Detroit Fae series. I love books that take place in Hockeytown!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I'm in love with Cindy's books and her covers! She is a wonderful writer. What a fun interview!!!

Emma Lai said...

Fun interview! Sounds like you're a busy woman, Cindy. I'm with you on Twilight. Loved the blurb.

Kris Norris said...

Hey Cindy

Very nice interview and glad to meet a fellow Diet Coke aholic.... congrats on sooooo many books out there.
I'm with you on the Twilight thing... I didn't even understand the question until my kids explained it, lol.
Oh, and I love your double dragon icon. Very nice.

hugs,
kris

Anny Cook said...

Excellent interview. No matter how many I read, there's always something new I didn't know! Congrats on the new releases!

Regina Carlysle said...

Great interview, Cindy! I know you so well but it was fun hearing about your first sale! I can just imagine it!

Tanya Hanson said...

Great interview, Cindy. Your output has me gasping. You go, girl! Here's to many more!

~Tanya
www.tanyahanson.com

AKM Miles said...

I enjoyed that a lot. Interesting that you're going to historical. Will be checking it out. Great interview. AKM

Kenzie Michaels said...

Thanks for clearing up SteamPunk...I kept forgetting to ask about it every time I'd see you use the term. Wonderful interview!

Tina Donahue said...

How come you get all the hot guys on your covers??? I'm jealous! Seriously, your books sound yummy, Cindy!

Cate Masters said...

Wonderful interview. Wow Cindy, you're incredibly prolific! Congrats on all your releases. Wishing you continued success.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Cindy,
Great post, Wow are you ever a busy lady.
Regards
Margaret

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Wow, I'm really tickled that so many of you turned out to say hello. It's very, very much appreciated!

Phyllis Campbell said...

Hey Cindy! It's great to get to know you better. I laughed to see you're working on a steampunk story, also. About two months ago I started one with my crit partner - our first co-author book. It's been fun...and crazy! lol

Great interview! I feel like I know you better now.

~Phyllis~

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi Cindy,

Excellent interview! I don't know how you keep so many different WIP going at the same time. I get confused when I have two!

Thanks for sharing.

Warmly,
Lisabet

Mona Risk said...

Cindy, you are my hero. 10-12 books a year. I wish I could. No even if I had the time, I don't think I could. Congratulations on you recent sales.