Monday, January 4, 2010

Brynn's Rocky Analysis

Okay…last Thursday, I listed some of my Brynn quirks. One of them is that I like Rocky [I], II, III and sometimes IV. I’ve never actually seen V or the last one called Rocky Balboa, not Rocky VI as many people think. The last two are on my 2010 to-do list but when they came out, I couldn’t handle Rocky old or brain damaged. I needed him to be stronger. Weird, I know.

My mom asked me the other night why I like the Rocky movies. I told her I didn’t know. A lie, a total lie. I guess I’ve always been an underdog so seeing an underdog triumph is something I like. I was one of those picked on kids in school so it was always cool to be able to see past that to something else. No matter where we start we can be a success.

Taking that farther, the films show ups and downs that I think often mirror all our careers. There’s always someone else out to best us. Or we see ourselves as not as good. Or we lose our fire. For me these movies can be a touchstone, a reminder to not lose touch with who I am and that my current moment isn’t all there is.

From another angle, I was heavy into drama in high school and college. I have got to tell you, I have huge admiration for Burgess Meredith and I just love him in these movies. I’ve just watched the first three Rocky movies again and from an acting perspective the character he played, Mickey, had the best monologues in all the movies, perhaps some of the best monologues in any movie. Seriously, I wanted to do them myself. We did monologue practice in college. I soooooo would have picked some of these if I’d thought of it. His monologue in the chapel in the second movie is brilliant.

Let’s set aside that I had a tiny unexplainable crush on Sylvester Stallone when I was younger. It’s my opinion that this man is undervalued. Obviously, I’ve spent a great deal of time looking at these movies. Did you know that Stallone wrote all six of them? He also directed four of the installments, including my favorite one, Rocky II. I haven’t counted how many other movies he’s directed, but he’s written thirteen more (and written the additional dialogue for another). That alone places him in my catalogue of greats.

Finally, I adore the love story between Adrian and Rocky. It just touches me whenever I see it. He’s definitely an alpha guy, but with her you see this soft caring side. He sees past her frumpiness to the beautiful woman inside. She becomes the center of his universe. It was one of the first things that attracted me to the movies.

So there you have it. All the reasons Brynn loves Rocky.

Gonna Fly Now! ~~ Brynn

2 comments:

Bronwyn Green said...

I had no idea he'd written all the rocky movies and more. My estimation of him went up a bit :)

Great analysis, Brynn! I now have the Gonna Fly Now theme in my head. We used to play that in marching band. I'm half tempted to get out the trumpet, but then I'd REALLY be procrastinating!

Fran Lee said...

I adore the Rocky movies, as silly as it seems.