Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Mia Watts

Yay! We're back again with Wednesday Wonder Writer. This is one of my favorite days of the week, and this week we have the very talented and hysterical Mia Watts!

Mia, thanks for visiting today! Let's get going with the questions:

Author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

Oooo. Readers and other writers are really nosy. *wink* My schedule varies a lot. I have a full time day job which eats up most of my time. It involves a lot of computer work, departmental communication, sucking up to the boss, and conferences. Don’t fool yourselves. Conferences are just upper management’s way of avoiding actual work. I know. I’ve sat in on enough of them. I’m still waiting for the conference that plans the upcoming conferences for the conference of planning conferences. I’m sure it’s just around the corner.

Do you have a pre-writing routine to prepare yourself to get down to business?

No. Do I need one? Geez. I guess I need to bone-up on the expected practices of real writers or something. Do you suppose they have a manual? Maybe a conference...

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

All over the place. I think it looks like I’m quick and prolific but I tend to jump into writing spurts within a constant release schedule. Organization would be great but chances are, I’m freaking out over a deadline and waiting for my editors to choke me through the phone. You know, on a phone conference.

What are you working on now?

A good, hard mad. I’m kinda bad about those. I try to get all pissed off, but I suck at the commitment of piss--

Uh, Mia...

Oh, you mean my WRITING work. Gotcha. Um. I’m working on a short for Total-E-Bound I’m calling Liam which has nothing to do with Liam and none of the characters are named Liam and the title won’t have Liam anywhere in it. Brynn understands. *grin* [Yes, Brynn nods in agreement. She does] It comes out in March. I’m also working on a ménage for Resplendence due out in February. I suppose I’d better get going on that one. I might need to conference with the editor (are we seeing a theme yet?)


What’s your favorite genre to write?

Men. I love men. That’s the question, right? Meeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. An. Entire. Conference. Of men. For me. My personal “Conference of Men Ménage”.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

Quaker poetry. (I want to be sure I fit in to the stereotype.) The entire collection of “The Emotional Journey of Croutons”. Shampoo labels... hey, those things are SEXY. Lather, rinse, repeat. GOD! Excitement simply “bubbles” around me. I simply “cream” (rinse) when I hear Jojoba. Say it slow for me, “Jo-Jo-baaaaaahhhhh”. Ever see the ad for Herbal Essence? There’s a reason she’s screaming in the shower.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

Yes.

Tell me your writing story…when did you decide this was what you want to do? How long did it take you to get “the call”? When were you first published? Etc.

Well, I first submitted about a year ago. I’d been lurking in the industry for a while and had friends who wrote and got published. I think I hid from what I wanted to write because there’s such a stigma against writing male erotic fiction. I began it on a dare and carried it to fruition. But it was the encouragement of my friends which really set the course.

I remember being invited to my friend’s house for an author gathering. We all came in from out of state to see Carol Lynne. I got to meet you and Bronwyn Green. Cash Cole showed up, too, and it was like we were long lost sisters or something. I owe my publication to all of you because without you, I wouldn’t have dared send in Claimed by Darkness.

Claimed and Bad Boys came out almost immediately and I remember feeling like my head was going to spin off with excitement. It terrified me, thrilled me, made me scream... I might actually have screamed, come to think of it. That was ten months ago. I’ve always wanted to write. Definitely a dream come true.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

You didn’t say there was going to be counting, Brynn.

Sue me, lol

*sigh* Let’s see, Claimed by Darkness (Ellora’s Cave), Bad Boys (Total-E-Bound), Sex Ed (Resplendence Publishing), Mind F*cked (Resplendence), and She’s Got Balls (Resplendence). By the time this interview is out, I’ll also have Faery Surprising (Resplendence). What’s that, like eighty? Yeah, we can go with that. I iz gud countr.


What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

Faery Surprising. You thought that was a trick question, didn’t you? You asked me this on December 11th and it doesn’t come out until the 15th, but since this is posting on the 30th, I soooo have your number!

Faery Surprising is the second book in Faerily Imperfect series. It’s an m/f standalone. Since the first book was m/m, I think it surprised some people. I like men, did I mention that? I also like women liking men so I didn’t want to leave out one genre all together, but I also didn’t want to alienate the readers who don’t cross over to other genres. Therefore, all the books in this series can be read alone and never lose part of the story for not having read another book. Sure, they’re all siblings. You’ll want to read them if you like both genres.

The idea was actually born of desperation. I really wanted contracts and my senior editor said that if I came up with a proposal, she’d think about it. So I did, kind of throwing things on paper. I decided a series offered job security for me and they picked it up. It’s all REALLY awesome except I knew nothing about fairies in general. So I decided to make shit up and play with the idea. That’s how all this came about.

What’s your writing space like?

I don’t have one space. The location I write most in is a comfy chair in the corner of my living room. It’s the quietest place in the apartment. The only problem is the swinging naked appendage of my across-court neighbor I call Johnson. Well, because, he vacuums naked with an impressive erm hose. It’s distracting. I suspect it’s also deviant but it’s nice to know that the giant cocks of erotic fiction do, in fact, have their “roots” (snort) in reality.

Swing, baby, swing. You missed a spot.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

Sleep. I work and write constantly. I sleep about five hours a night. Sometimes less. Yeah, I get out for the occasional evening of fun, but mostly I enjoy doing what I do.

Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

Lace. Boy shorts. They’re fantastic except that if the lace gets old, they fall the fuck off your ass. Never wear a skirt if you suspect this might happen. I’ve been there. And you guessed it, in the middle of a presentation... at a conference.

Last questions…
Coke or Pepsi? Coke

Bronte or Austen? Austen

Star Trek or Star Wars? Really? Pointy ears or bad acting?

Team Edward or Team Jacob? *gag*

McDonalds or Burger King? Culver’s

Where can we find you?
www.miawatts.com
www.miawatts.blogspot.com
I love to hear from fans. Send email to wattsmia@aol.com

Thanks for joining me today Mia!

14 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Good God, WARN a person to strap herself down before reading! I nearly fell off my chair (how many times? Lost count!) from laughing so hard! (Rubs posterior and elbow)

I'm sensing there will be a conference of Weekly Wonder Writers after this...complete with Coke, naked men, and plenty of potential plot points!

Regina Carlysle said...

ROTFLMAO! Is that a word? Yikes...super funny.

Bronwyn Green said...

So about that Conference of Men Ménage - where do I sign up?

I'm so glad I know better than to be drinking anything while reading any interview with you. Herne, however, is unimpressed by your hilarity.

Excellent interview, you two.:D

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Thanks for my big daily laugh, Mia! I'll try to stop web-stalking you! Many sales in the New Year!

Mia Watts said...

@Moll. Heh. Sorry? Nahhhh!

@Regina. Thanx.

@Bronwyn. Herne is a tough sell. Fortunately for me, you aren't. *wink*

@Julia. Hell, woman, you'd better not! I'd be lost and lonely.

Fran Lee said...

You baaaad girl! Making us laugh like this. You write tongue in cheek (that is an intentional double intendre dear!)and we all love your books.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Go, Mia!

Anny Cook said...

*Snort* Go girl.

Tessie Bradford said...

Hey Mia-
Last week I actually attended a two and a half hour meeting that was to plan the meeting to develope a strategic plan!!

Chris said...

*waves at Mia*

I'm glad I carefully set my beer aside before I started to read your interview. Just sayin'.

Afton Locke said...

Great interview. I want to go to the meeeennnnn conference too! That's the problem with romance writing conventions -- all women, except for the cover models, of course.

Mia Watts said...

@Fran, how are you?

@Chris, Beer is always best when spewed. There's something about the warm bubbly spray combined with backwash to make it all worth while. ;)

@Cindy, Anny: Thanx!

@Afton: Yes, and even then they don't usually LIKE women. *wangst*

@Tessie: I KNEW you'd understand. Isn't that insane? And this is the time of year when they have the conference to plan the meeting for the new year fiscal meeting conference of goals and conferences.

I need to be the scheduler for that shit. Apparently, it's in high demand.

Brynn, thank you, my lovely friend for the forum and the great interview questions. Love you, babe!

Mia Watts said...

I missed a comma in there. Feel free to add. Just pick a spot. Throw it in. It'll keep her busy.

As, my, super, cool, friend, Julia, already, knows. Must, use, small, words (inside joke).

Kris Norris said...

Hey Mia,

Fatabuloussos interview. Thanks for the pick me up and all the laughs. Great job to you two ladies. Can't wait to read more.

hugs,
Kris
p.s. You didn't mention how many conferences you were attending this year. Maybe we should all have a conference about it.