Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wednesday Wonder Writer - Bronwyn Green

Good morning! Today, I'm thrilled to have one of my original Wonder Writers visit again. Bronwyn Green visited me last in February of 2008, but I know a lot has changed since then, and I'm happy she's agreed to stop by today.

Bronwyn, thank you for agreeing to be interviewed. Let's get started!

Author’s lives intrigue readers and other writers. Tell me about your typical daily schedule.

My schedule is pretty boring. I get up at about 5:30, stumble downstairs turn on my computer and check email. Then I get my kids up, herd them to the car, pick up our car pool kid and bring the older boys to the high school and the youngest to the elementary school.

I get home around 8ish, check email again and alternate between writing and the day job until I have to leave to get the kids at 2ish. We get back home around 4 and the homework parade begins and also the “oh crap...I have to make supper” lament.

After supper, I’m usually back on the computer off and on until bedtime. Except on Thursday nights...then I drive to Brynn’s to watch Supernatural with her. It’s an important ritual.

Supernatural? Does it have a draw to you as a writer? And who’s your top guy? Sam or Dean?

I love the show for multiple reasons – the most obvious being Sam and Dean – lol. But as a writer, I find that it sucks me right in. Both the story and character arcs are phenomenal. The show was already well into the fourth season by the time I was introduced to it so I had marathon Supernatural sessions. I watched all four seasons on dvd between April and August of this year. I finished up just in time to start season five on tv. Because I crammed around eighty episodes into five months I got to see four years of character development in fast forward.

I’m beyond impressed at how tightly Eric Kripke (the show’s creator) plotted this series. Things were set in motion during the first season that are just now coming to pass, but looking back at the series as a whole, one can see that they’ve been unfolding all along. It’s brilliant plotting. Then there’s the dialog. Anyone who can write laugh out loud funny dialogue that seamlessly shifts to heartbreakingly poignant in the next line is a genius.

And for the record, I’m a Dean girl. ;)

What’s your writing style? Slow and steady? Quick and prolific? All over the place?

All over the freaking place. I wish I were quick and prolific - that would be a dream come true.

What are you working on now?

Right now, I’m finishing up Just Right, a Not Quite Wicked tale that will be out in January with Resplendence Publishing. It will be part of a series with Brynn, Mia Watts and Dakota Rebel. Then I’m working on the first book in my new witch series, Witch Way and my third Handcuffs and Lace book.

What’s your favorite genre to write?

My first love is paranormal/fantasy, but I’ve discovered that I also really like contemporary. I also enjoy writing the occasional historical.

I find a lot of authors like to read outside their chosen genre. What do you like to read?

I still gravitate toward the same subgenres that I write, but I find I absolutely love Young Adult fiction. Some of my very favorite books are YA.

Do you have a favorite author or someone you look up to in the industry?

I have a ton of favorite authors – luckily most of them are my friends – lol! There’s of course, the illustrious Brynn Paulin, my best friend and critique partner as well as Jennifer Armintrout, Margaret Yang, Mia Watts and Dakota Rebel. In terms of industry professionals that I either haven’t met or don’t know well, I’d have to say...Suzanne Brockman, Maggie Stiefvater and Charles deLint.

You’ve told us your writing story before but tell us about what you’ve learned since you were first published in 2007.

Wow – where to start. I’ve learned that a so-so review isn’t the end of the world, no matter how much it feels like it might be. Great reviews don’t really sell books. The e-book industry moves much more quickly than the print book industry and to keep up, you always need to be working on your next book. Unfortunately, I’ve also learned that people who pirate our hard work are an awful reality.

How many books have you had published and for whom?

Let’s see...so far, there are 12 total – 4 are with Ellora’s Cave, 4 are with Total-e-bound, 3 are with Resplendence Publishing and 1 is with Cerridwen Press.

What’s your latest release? Can you tell us about the book and how you got the idea?

My latest book, Cuffed and Dangerous came out November 3rd, 2009. It’s a ménage – my first and my first shape shifter book, as well. Wrenn Saunders, the heroine, is a bounty hunter who meets the two heroes, Gideon Wells and Jude Caulfield, when a scuffle ensues while retrieving a bounty.

I got the idea for this book when I was looking through vacation pictures from when I was a kid. My dad used to take my us kids to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for a week every summer and while we were there, we’d always stop at this tavern/restaurant called The Jack Pine. While looking at the photographs, I remember thinking that it looked like a great place for a bounty hunter to lay in wait for a fugitive.

Immediately, the opening scene popped into my head. I could see Wrenn at the bar and the rest flowed from there. I did decide to take artistic licence and move The Jack Pine to the Lower Peninsula, though. Petoskey worked so much better for the story than several hundred miles north, somewhere outside of Shingleton.

Where’s your favorite place to write?

I’d like to say my lovely office. When it’s not the Pit of Despair, it’s a great place to write. Unfortunately, it’s a wreck and my desk is buried. So, my second favorite place to write is the right hand corner of my couch, surrounded by kittens and cwtched [SIC] up under a blanket.

Cwtched? Is that a real word?

It is, it’s just not English - lol. It’s a Welsh word that means all snuggled up. It’s one of those words I grew up using and didn’t realize it wasn’t common in the states until I started getting weird looks from my college roommate.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I read and watch a few programs on tv. I’m also crafty kid and I have trouble sitting still if I’m not doing something, so if I’m watching a tv show or movie, you can bet I’m either cross stitching, knitting or making jewelry at the same time. I also make a lot of my own clothes and pottery projects when I have access to a kiln.


Is there anything else you’d like to share with readers?

I love to hear from readers, so if you get a chance, drop me a note. I can be found at www.bronwyngreen.com or www.bronwyngreenblog.blogspot.com

Last questions…

Coke or Pepsi? Coke – it’s the elixir of life.

Bronte or Austen? I’m a Bronte girl.

Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Wars all way.

Team Edward or Team Jacob? Torn...so...torn.

McDonalds or Burger King? McDonald's for coke and fries and BK for the burgers.

Thanks for joining us Bronwyn!!!

15 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Excellent interview ladies:)

Bronwyn Green said...

Thanks Molly! :)

And thank *you* Brynn for inviting me back! And can I just say...29 days... ;)

Julia Barrett said...

First of all, I agree with you - Coke is the elixir of life. I actually have an editor who thinks I'm nuts because my characters drink Coke! Second, your series sounds amazing. I can't wait!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Excellent interview! Bron, you remain one of my very favorite authors. My only disagreement would be that DIET coke, is in fact, what makes the world go round...

Diane said...

Hi, I am a writer who would love to write like you do... someone has sent me this link... can you pass on any advice, or maybe point me in the right direction? (I write MM)...

Hugs x

p.s. TOTALLY a Sam/Jared girl here...

Brynn Paulin said...

hey Diane,
If you go to my website www.brynnpaulin.com there's a link to email me. Please do. I'd be happy to talk about publication stuff.
Brynn

Brynn Paulin said...

Bron! Thanks again for being here! Would that be 29 days to our Not Quite Wicked series??
B

Brynn Paulin said...

Molly, I'd love to have you as a returning Wonder Writer. Julia I'd love to have you on too. Email me :-)

Cindy! I'm looking forward to your interview on January 20!!!
B

Fran Lee said...

Great interview, ladies...from two of my favorite writers!

Bronwyn Green said...

Julia - so glad to see a fellow coke-a-holic. ;) And thanks! Hope you like the new series. :)

Thanks Cindy and big hugs. I'll overlook your allegiance to diet coke because you're awesome. ;)

Hi Diane - so nice to see another Supernatural girl here. :D Brynn has all kinds of great writing info and her MM book, Single White Knight is phenomenal!

Brynn...Silly goose - there are 27 days 'til the series goes live and 29 days 'til new episodes of The Boys. :D

Thanks Franny!! (Hugs!))

Tessie Bradford said...

Loved the interview, ladies! Have a wonderful holiday!

Afton Locke said...

Great interview. I love doing craft stuff too -- as well as Coke, Bronte, and McDonalds!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brynn:) I'll let you know when I get a release date!

Molly/Kenzie

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hey Bron,

I don't know where you get the energy. Up at 5:30 to check your email! Jeez!

You might not be quick, but you're certainly prolific.

Merry Christmas!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Suzanne Graham said...

Great interview, Bron and Brynn!
Your personality really shines through.

I'll have to figure out how to wriggle an invitation out of you for a Thursday night viewing. I don't know them boys, but it sounds like I should definitely be introduced.

Hugs!
Suzanne