Friday, December 12, 2008

My piece about RWA

Bear with me. I rarely go off but today is one of those occasions--and actually, I'm just supporting someone else who's clearly said what I've been thinking for two years about the RWA. A lot of people have been thinking these things and been ignored. December Quinn has a lot to say about RWA and I can't say I disagree with her. In fact, I totally agree. Check out her blog.

I personally think the RWA has turned into an elitist organization that supports its own interests and its own interests only. They fail to realize that they're nothing without the very people they're alienating. Even discounting the RITA crap mentioned on December's blog, every year, the ratio of membership cost to benefit return is more and more skewed. There is no benefit. There's just a very expensive magazine which has also become a joke.

I've chosen not to renew my membership with them and I'd encourage anyone who wants to be (or is) epublished not to be part of them, as well. I considered remaining in and being a "voice" but since they don't listen to any of the "little people", I'm not wasting my money.

Tirade over. It wasn't much of one anyway.

5 comments:

Anny Cook said...

And expressed in a lady-like manner. Thank you.

sterlingwriter said...

No, they're a factory. And want us to be little factory workers.
I'm so glad you spelled "seceding" right!

Molly Daniels said...

Hi Brynn:) Bought Tempting Tamara this week:)

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

The only reason I've stayed in for the past few years is that I belong to two great local chapters. In any OTHER national profession organization, you can belong to the local without joining the national, but not with RWA.

KellyMarstad said...

Yes, my membership is lapsing this year. Not renewing.