Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm Not THAT Old

So…seriously, there are these moments when I get hit by these age things. Yesterday my brothers were talking while I was finishing preparing food in the kitchen and one says to the other, “At least you’re not forty.”

Excuse me!

I glared at them and the back-pedalling began. “Well don’t they say forty is the new twenty?” I was asked. The little brothers got the look of death, let me tell you. Do you know who said that ‘it’s the new twenty’ junk? Someone who’s already forty.

Anyway, today, yahoo music had a blog about the top 25 teen idols of all time. Davy Jones made #1. My son looks at me and says, "whoever that is." Whoever that is? Come on! Davy Jones! Okay, I can cut the fourteen year old a little slack. I mean, technically Davy Jones was before my time…but geez, he’s an icon. Kids today have no culture.

Okay, it’s entirely possible I’m a great big geek.

For the record, the teenager has no clue who David Cassidy is either.


FIVE MINUTES LATER
: My husband says...who's Davy Jones?

I GIVE UP!!!!

7 comments:

Anny Cook said...

At least you're not sixty! And neither am I until next year. Sigh. Davy Jones. Bobby Sherman. Yeah...

Brynn Paulin said...

Well, Anny, you know...they say sixty is the new forty ;-)

I'm not forty until next year, either, but it's close enough if you know what I mean.

Molly Daniels said...

Yeah, I just polled my kids and while they didn't recognize the names, when I said The Monkees and Partridge Family, they said, 'Oh I've heard of THEM...'

Daughter thought I was talking about the Davy Jones of the sea...

KIDS!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Trying to watch Dancing with the Stars and explaining who Marie Osmond was...which led to Donny Osmond...kids are clueless. But your DH has no excuse. He never watched the Monkees?

barbara huffert said...

Uh oh. I know who they are. Guess that makes me old too. Hm, that means you're in good company. Yep, old's sounding better all the time.

Bronwyn's Blog said...

Your brothers need their asses kicked! Little brats!

KellyMarstad said...

Who's Davy Jones? I thought he was an actor or something. Like that Butch Cassidy guy or is was that David Cassidy? I dunno. I'm of the Micheal Jackson, Boy George, Cindy Lauper era.