Thursday, May 8, 2008

'Cause I wanna...

There are things I should do today, but not things I have to do. Do you know the difference? The have to and the should dos? I tend to make them all have tos.

Not today.

I should do laundry.
I should do a bit more work.
I should write.
I should vacuum.

Well, I did a laundry marathon last Thursday. For once I’m not behind. I’ve worked non-stop since I got back from RT. This is why there hasn’t been much in the way of blog. I’ve been working since 7:30 AM until I fall into bed between 1 and 2 (sometimes 3) AM. I do consider my writing work too. And over the course of this past Friday to Tuesday, I wrote 14,000 words while still doing my regular work a minimum of eight hours a day.

So today came the want tos.

I wanted to watch Battlestar Galactica. The original not either of the remakes.
I wanted to peruse eBay.
I wanted to read a vampire book.
I wanted to chat with friends.
I wanted to not knock off the people in front of me at the checkout lane and the people behind me who were having a huge fight. This almost became a had to…as in had to knock off.
I wanted to have lunch with my best friend.
I wanted to play an online video game.

See? Nothing overly productive. I claimed today as my day free from should and have to. When was the last time you did that? For me, it’s been awhile.

Tomorrow, I’ll write.

7 comments:

Bronwyn's Blog said...

I'm glad you wanted to have lunch today - it was lovely!

Molly Daniels said...

How does one 'lay an online video game'? Hahaha...just kidding:)

Hmmm...my last totally-mine-to-do-what-I-want day was...3 years ago? Damn...I'm overdue for another one!

Kelly Kirch said...

Everybody needs those days. Glad you took some time to be Brynn... or that other non pen namey person you are. ;)

Brynn Paulin said...

Darn typos!
I corrected it. Thanks Molly :-)

Anny Cook said...

I try to have one of those days every week. At my age, once the opportunity is gone, it won't be back.

Glad y'all had a lovely lunch.

barbara huffert said...

One advantage of being entirely on my own - I do what I want when I want. Now if only I could get rid of the whole go to work thing five days a week!

sterlingwriter said...

Um, every day. (Don't shoot me) Damn, girl, you're going to kill yourself. Take a lesson from Bronwyn and just say no. Heh.