Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Reversing a decision

Almost sixteen years ago, my husband and I got married. I was at the end of college and he was just leaving his active duty stint in the Army. We were young and in love and he decided not to go to college as had always been his plan. College would come later.

Dumb decision on both our parts. I don't regret getting married and I don't regret the kids that arrived two and four years later. We've done alright, but not going to school has always been a sticking point.

So those of you who are married...you know how you lay in bed late at night and just talk? Sometimes you talk about the strangest things. Sometimes decisions are made. Things you'd never thought about for weeks or longer. Last night, my husband was talking about needing something to fill his time and he was talking about his job--which he doesn't like. I suggested that he sign up to take classes at our local community college. He agreed--whole-heartedly--which actually surprised me because in the past, he's always hemmed and hawed about it. I think he thought maybe I'd let it drop (he does that...)

Well, as of this morning, he's registered. Summer classes start the beginning of May.

In other news:

MICROSOFT Bids to Acquire Catholic Church

By Hank Vorjes

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- In a joint press conference in St. Peter's Square this morning, MICROSOFT Corp. and the Vatican announced that the Redmond software giant will acquire the Roman Catholic Church in exchange for an unspecified number of shares of MICROSOFT common stock. If the deal goes through, it will be the first time a computer software company has acquired a major world religion.

With the acquisition, Pope Benedict XVI will become the senior vice-president of the combined company's new Religious Software Division, while MICROSOFT senior vice-presidents Michael Maples and Steven Ballmer will be invested in the College of Cardinals, said MICROSOFT Chairman Bill Gates.

"We expect a lot of growth in the religious market in the next five to ten years," said Gates. "The combined resources of MICROSOFT and the Catholic Church will allow us to make religion easier and more fun for a broader range of people."

Through the MICROSOFT Network, the company's new on-line service, "we will make the sacraments available on-line for the first time and revive the popular pre-Counter-Reformation practice of selling indulgences," said Gates. "You can get Communion, confess your sins, receive absolution -- even reduce your time in Purgatory -- all without leaving your home."

A new software application, MICROSOFT Church, will include a macro language which you can program to download heavenly graces automatically while you are away from your computer.

The deal grants MICROSOFT exclusive electronic rights to the Bible and the Vatican's prized art collection, which includes works by such masters as Michelangelo and Da Vinci. But critics say MICROSOFT will face stiff challenges if it attempts to limit competitors' access to these key intellectual properties.

"The Jewish people invented the look and feel of the holy scriptures," said Rabbi David Gottschalk of Philadelphia. "You take the parting of the Red Sea -- we had that thousands of years before the Catholics came on the scene."

But others argue that the Catholic and Jewish faiths both draw on a common Abrahamic heritage. "The Catholic Church has just been more successful in marketing it to a larger audience," notes Notre Dame theologian Father Kenneth Madigan. Over the last 2,000 years, the Catholic Church's market share has increased dramatically, while Judaism, which was the first to offer many of the concepts now touted by Christianity, lags behind.

Historically, the Church has a reputation as an aggressive competitor, leading crusades to pressure people to upgrade to Catholicism, and entering into exclusive licensing arrangements in various kingdoms whereby all subjects were instilled with Catholicism, whether or not they planned to use it. Today Christianity is available from several denominations, but the Catholic version is still the most widely used. The Church's mission is to reach "the four corners of the earth," echoing MICROSOFT's vision of "a computer on every desktop and in every home".

Gates described MICROSOFT's long-term strategy to develop a scalable religious architecture that will support all religions through emulation. A single core religion will be offered with a choice of interfaces according to the religion desired -- "One religion, a couple of different implementations," said Gates.

The MICROSOFT move could spark a wave of mergers and acquisitions, according to Herb Peters, a spokesman for the U.S. Southern Baptist Conference, as other churches scramble to strengthen their position in the increasingly competitive religious market.

Copyright (c) 2008 Knight-Ridder / Tribune Business News

~~Brynn

Okay, yeah... the Microsoft thing is April Fools.

11 comments:

Jennifer Armintrout said...

The April Fools joke we got was our phone turned off. Phone company didn't think "April Fools!" was a good enough reason to not have paid the bill. They don't have a sense of humor about my inability to remember to pay my bills on time.

Good going to the husband for getting back to school. Version 2.0 is currently at the hemming/hawing stage.

Bronwyn's Blog said...

Yay for Mr. Brynn!!!!!! I'm so happy for him!!!! Think I'm gonna hafta hug that boy next time I see him!

Anny Cook said...

Excellent blog! I like it.

Now about the college thingy. I went to school after three kids. Finished when #4 was sixteen. 4.0 average as being an adult, I actually ENJOYED school. All the kids were there for my graduation. Tell 'im I said GO. FOR. It!

sterlingwriter said...

Well, I'm happy only one of those stories was an April Fool's joke. Tell him I'm rooting for him all the way. What will he be studying?

barbara huffert said...

Ooh good for him! I wanna go to school too. Ask if I can come along please.

Dakota Rebel said...

Congrats to you and the hubby! If he was smart enough to marry you school should be a breeze. :)


Hugs
Dakota

Molly Daniels said...

Great news for Mr. Brynn! He sounds like a decisive person, one who will achieve anything he puts his mind to!

Almost had me going there...I was about to yell to hubby to read this, but kept my mouth shut and kept reading. Whew!

Kelly Kirch said...

OH MY GOSH! I was so believing that story. I got outraged that the church was up for sale. My heart rate is coming down now... thanks for nuthin!!!

Awesome about school. It's never too late.

Ashley Ladd said...

LOLOL. It would serve them right if Microsoft acquired them. The Catholic church, well, the Archdiocese of Miami anyway, tried to do a hostile takeover of my charity and they got downright mean when we declined.

I went to college after we were married and had 3 kids. It wasn't easy and it would have been even more fun had I been single, but I did it. I honestly don't know how much it's helped. Yeah, I was just promoted to manager, but I don't think my company looks at degrees. I think I was originally hired IN SPITE OF my degree. That's the impression they gave me. My dad always drilled into me that college was a joke, that I shouldn't waste my time - this from a guy who went to nightschool 10 years to earn his Engineering degree and then worked on a masters degree in computer programming and stopped a class or two short of the degree. AND he got a raise and promotion the minute he took his degree paperwork into his company - doing the same job. So it does help sometimes. I'm trying to convince #1 son to get a degree and he really doesn't feel it necessary. He's got his GED and is director of his IT department at work and companies fight to get him. But he's an oddity. I tell him he's doing well, but he could probably make even more if he got the degree. But he's 27 so he makes his own decisions.

Caffey said...

Hi Brynn. This is going to sound very similar! My hubby and I met at college, I graduated and he didn't. He just at that time was not into it and didn't want to stay. We married two weeks after I graduated college! And we soon, In June, married 25 years.

About, I'd say 9 or 10 years ago, my hubby too was at job he hated, working for the state. He always loved working on cars but really needed the degree. So he and I talked and he went to the community college part time, never missing a class! We had a graduation party and everything. It was something he wanted to do. He's now been working as a mechanic six years now and loves it! So I'm thrilled for your hubby too! It happened when the time was right!!

Sandra Cox said...

YAY on your husband going back to school. All my family works at community colleges:)
Would you send me an email at cast5away@yahoo.com, Brynn.
Thanks.