Monday, February 25, 2008

Almost Out of the Oubliette

How can it possibly be the last Monday in February? Already? Wow, has this month flown by. I’m really glad because frankly, I consider February in the Northern Hemisphere to be the oubliette of the year. For those of you who don’t recognize this word, it means the dungeon where you can see the light but can’t get out. Depressing, huh? Well, mostly, February is. How ironic that it’s the month where we celebrate love. It’s the month where romance writer’s can celebrate the holiday which embodies of their craft. Yeah, well, it’s almost done. Daylight will soon arrive again.

Still, as romance writers, we can do a lot to alleviate the feeling of “oubliette” and make the world a whole lot brighter. We are the creators of the fantasy. We give the young mother an outlet. We remind the a weary lover that love is worth the work. We give so many life-burdened people a place to rest. We create a place for those stuck in the mire of their life to escape for a few hours. We simply take our readers to another place and show the world the way love should be. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that romance sells as well as it does…

Here are a few questions for you: as readers, what do you appreciate in a book? What makes a great book? And those out there who are writers, particularly romance writers, what do you love most about the craft? Why are you a romance writer? Why are you a writer?

For me, books are an escape. Let’s face it, in a lot of ways, life sucks. That’s not to say I want all sweetness and light in the books I read. I want to read the blackest big black moment there can be, but then I want the huge YES moment at the end of the book. I want to close the book full of warm happy feelings. Yes, rip my heart out then make me feel better. That’s what I want in a book and that’s what I strive to write in a book. It’s all about the emotional journey.

So…I got two reviews this weekend. One for Tribute for the Goddess and one for Incubus.
Here’s part of both:

Romance Reviews Today: Brynn Paulin can write some of the most sexually gratifying and emotional sex scenes! TRIBUTE FOR THE GODDESS is an excellent fantasy romance and the relationship between Thad and Jett and his love for his goddess are sweet and sexy all rolled into one. My first introduction to Thad was very amusing because all he cares about is getting under Jett’s toga. His frustrations make him seem very selfish, which would make sense after abstaining from sex for over two-hundred years with the one woman he desires above all else. But very quickly he comes to Jett's rescue, and what a rescue it is! Jett may be a bit naïve in the terms of love and mortal relationships, but she is a very fast learner. Thad, as her teacher, shows her what life as a mortal can offer and she embraces it.

Even though Jett is an all powerful goddess, she is basically a lonely and unsure deity who must sacrifice herself for the lives of millions. The weight of the world is on her shoulders, literally. Since Thad and Jett are constantly on the run and hiding, their intimate moments are fast and all consuming, which happen quite often. Airyon is truly an evil character who likes to cause pain and suffering and only wants Jett much like a spoiled child wants his favorite toy. Jett's sister Nara is in charge of taking souls to the underworld, or Torment as it is called. Nara is also one who must be watched because she also enjoys pain and suffering.

Who would have thought reading the drama of a goddess could be so much fun? TRIBUTE FOR THE GODDESS has many moments of action, suspense and, of course, a wonderful love between a great hero and a goddess. It's a recommended read, and Brynn Paulin is an author to enjoy.

You can find the full review here.

Simply Romance Reviews: Cupid’s Kisses – Redemption: Incubus is a very steamy read but then again it’s about an incubus! The demon Cupid twist is very original and gives this a nice slant on the usual. Noah is hot, even though for most of the story he’s invisible but Val can sure “feel” him. Her special healing powers are a nice touch and help to bring this story to a happy ending, one that both characters really deserved. I recommend this quick read – a Valentine’s treat without the calories!

You can find the full review here.

Fictionary was a rousing success on Saturday, with both readers and writers participating. If you were there, thank you for coming to play! It was a great time. We will be playing again at Literagasm on Thursday 6th March - 7-9pm EST. Here's how it works: We post photos every 10 minutes or so, and everyone has to think of a catch phrase to go with it - it's amazing the things that people think of! The funniest ones will win prizes. The TEB editors will pick the winners. In between the caption game, authors will also have the opportunity to post hot and steamy excerpts. Come join the fun!!

Congrats to Dakota Rebel who has a new book out today in the Bound Brits anthology! Way to go! Anyone interested can pick it up here.

11 comments:

Kelly Kirch said...

I write because if I don't I start talking to the people in my head or relating stories about them to real people who think the characters are friends of mine. I love writing because it always surprises me.

N.J.Walters said...

Congrats on the two great reviews, Brynn.

I think Oubliette is the right word for it. Winter in the Northern Hemisphere is no picnic. :-)

As a reader, I love to slip away from reality for a few hours and lose myself in a good book. The character relationships are what make a book work, or not work, for me.

I'm also a writer, and want to create a book that will make a reader laugh or cry or simply forget their worries for an hour or two.

Dakota Rebel said...

Great reviews sweetie! Congrats.

I write because Vampires don't really exist (or if they do they won't come play with me.) So I have to write about them if I want in on their vampy fun.

I am with Kelly too, if I don't write, the voices in my head get louder and louder until I start answering them. Which I suppose is fine if you are, say...in the shower. But when you are in line at Meijer and start screaming back...they kind of throw you out.

XoXoXo
Dakota

Molly Daniels said...

I totally agree on the voices in the head thing! And as a reader, I want to enter another world, or see how love is working out for someone else, to get away from reality for a change:)

Great reviews Brynn! Congratulations!

Bronwyn's Blog said...

Congrats - yay you!!!

I read to escape, but I also want to feel something when I read. Be it pain, elation, desire - whatever - I want to feel something.

And yeah...I write to keep the people in my head happy. ;)

Jennifer Armintrout said...

Basically, for me to like a book, it can't be depressing, no one can die, and everyone has to live happily ever after. And there can be like, adventure. I guess some people can die, but not the people I like. And it has to be funny.

Basically, it has to be a fairytale.

Unfortunately, I don't write like that. I think I take my frustrations at the world out on my characters. Up next: "Blood Ties Book Five: Put Down Your Cell Phone And Drive Or A Vampire Is Going To Get You".

Smut Girl said...

Congrats on reviews! You are enjoyable. I agree :)

I write and read to escape and stay sane. Period. That's my best answer. If you can make me horny *and* make me laugh, I'll be your slave forever.

And I like February. I like winter. *ducks and crab walks out before the stones can do too much damage...*

lyntaylor said...

I read because sometimes I want the hero in the book to come and whisk me away from the dullness of my life. I live my romance through my books. Sad yes I know. Real life and love are hard, hard work.

Fantastic reviews Brynn! Congratulations :D

Anny Cook said...

Heh. Well, I write because I must. I could be detailed directions on how to change a diaper or it could be a letter to my mother, but I must write. Nice that I can be paid to do what I am compelled to do.

Reading? I read because I must. If pressed I'll read the contents label on the cleanser can. So it's nice that y'all write books for me to read.

Sandra Cox said...

oubliette. What a great word. It sounds much more romantic than dungeon:)
Congrats on your wonderful reviews!!!
Way to go, girlfriend!
Sandra

sterlingwriter said...

I love to read great descriptions that make me want to grab someone and say "You have to listen to this." The perfect phrase, the exact words to describe the character's emotions, the twist of words I'd never, ever think to use.
I write to tell stories. To be surprised. To find the perfect phrase, the exact words, the twist.