Wednesday, January 23, 2008

DDR AKA Dance Dance Revolution

Ever heard of it? It's all the rage at my house. Great exercise. My youngest son has been playing it for hours at a time. The child with little grace has mastered several of the songs...hmmmm...grace it seems can be developed. Me? Not so much. The dang game grades you and I'm not doing very well, but I do end up kinda sweaty by the time I'm done and yeah, I can feel the burn.

Anyhoo, for anyone who doesn't know, DDR is a video game available for several different game systems. Unlike most games, it doesn't use a hand-held controller. It uses a 3' by 3' pad on the floor that you 'dance' on. I never thought I'd be able to do that with anyone in the room, but now I tell the kids to pick whatever song they want and I'll try. My son said "mom, you're the coolest. I don't know any other moms who do video games with their kids." Obviously, they haven't met Dakota.

Yesterday, in a moment when I wasn't working, or desperately trying to finish my book, or playing ddr, or refereeing the kids, I started a new book. WHAT? Why did I do that? I have to finish the other one, right? I had a great idea for a Christmas book I want to send to Ellora's Cave. I don't want to neglect them so I'm trying to give them equal time. My next two books are theirs if they want them. And I had this idea I had to get down. When the opening line smacks you on the side of the head, you've gotta go with it.

In the midst of the whirlwind of my life and snowdays for the kids (btw, we may get up to a foot more snow today) I totally missed blogging about my new book!!! OMG! I'm so excited. Tribute for the Goddess came out on Monday. Of all the books I've done, this one is my absolute favourite. Here's a blurb and excerpt:

BLURB:

When Jett, Goddess of the Zodiac Quadrant, flees her home and the rogue god hunting her, she knows she has one place to hide—Earth. She calls on her pledged servant, Thad, for protection. Thad, however, isn’t willing to jump to her aid. He’s served Jett for two hundred years in a position he feels she tricked him into accepting. Now, he has conditions…

"Accept me as your god. You’re mine and you will obey me."

It’s everything Jett’s wanted and completely forbidden. No mortal may touch a goddess without consequences. No goddess may indulge in her lust for her pledged servant without divine punishment. As her flight forces her into his arms, they break these laws of god and mortal to find a love that will never be allowed. Together, they fight her enemy, but in the end, their greatest enemy might be themselves.

EXCERPT:

A thunderous crack echoed through the room. Jett twisted on the throne and peered toward the passage that led from the chamber. Thad had no idea where it went. He’d never seen the outside of this portion of Jett’s holdings. He merely visualised himself here when his goddess summoned and was immediately transported to her presence.

Her lip caught between her teeth as her hands clenched around the chair arms. The clasp she’d taken from his hair caught under one of them. It gouged into her flesh, a trickle of blood appearing on her fingers, but she didn’t seem to notice.

Another boom drove her to her feet.

“We must leave,” she whispered, urgency making her voice harsh.

“What’s happening?”

“They are coming for me. They plan to seize me during the regeneration. I did not think it would be so soon.”

A third, even louder, explosion of sound rocked the chamber and tumbled her chair to the side. Jett jumped from the dais and into his arms, wrapping herself around him. His hands caught in the voluminous, pale peach cloth that wrapped her divine waist. He was actually touching her!

Spirals of heaven, energy Thad hadn’t experienced even with his great power, flowed through him. His head grew light, and his breathing stalled.

“Breathe!” she demanded. “Get me out of here!”

“What?” He’d never been dazed by a woman’s touch. The goddess’s contact sucker-punched him, before raking along his cock. No wonder a mere human wasn’t allowed to touch her. He could die from the pleasure. Oh yeah.

“Mortals,” she groaned in disgust. “I forgot they cannot handle my energy waves.”
Her eyes closed for a moment, and he felt his mental abilities returning. My goddess, she’s like a drug.

She snapped her fingers in front of his face. “Now, quick before they get here. We have wasted too much time already.”
“Here? Who?” He winced though a fog filled his thoughts. Enter the human moron.

Jett apparently felt the same about his questioning. “Do you want to die? Get us out of here. I cannot or they will track me.”

“They’ll track my energy trail.”

“I will mask it. Divert it. I can do that without them finding us.” She jumped as a bellow echoed across the chamber.

Three hulking men filled the doorway of the passage she’d watched earlier. Thad quickly assessed them. They were equal to his size, and if they weren’t gods, he might be able to take them in a fight. But they were divine in nature. He could sense that.

A lesser man would have cringed at their glares. A smarter man would have shoved Jett away from him and claimed he’d had nothing to do with her jumping into his arms.

Thad clasped her tighter to him. They wouldn’t hurt her. And they wouldn’t take her from him.

“Go!” she urged.

Closing his eyes, Thad visualised them to the safest place he could think of. His favourite hide-out. A place teaming with magical energy. Somewhere a person could get lost for days.

The cool tingle of magic swirled around him, contrasting her heat burning his front. A rush of air drowned the sound of furious shouts as he and Jett dissolved from the room.

Her arms tightened about him as the wind threatened to rip her from his embrace. He hugged her closer.

Jett! He’d waited so long to hold her. He couldn’t imagine letting her go.

7 comments:

Anny Cook said...

My granddaughter loves ddr.

Congratulations on the new book! May you sell many, many.

Kelly Kirch said...

Umm, I think there's an age requirement to meeting Dakota.

Congrats on the new book~!

Molly Daniels said...

Both of my older children love DDR, and even the baby tries to play along sometimes.

I put this on my TBR list yesterday:) And yes, it's in my WORD file, so I can get both title and author correctly!

Dakota Rebel said...

I want DDR too! But we chose guitar hero instead.

I did warn Mr. Rebel that part of the tax return money will be spent on Dakota's new "excercise program" though. So soon I will possess this marvel of video game technology.

Hooray! And good luck on your WIPS.


Dakota

Smut Girl said...

Hmm. I would fall. No doubt. I got booed off stage for Guitar Hero because my hand eye coordination sucks that bad. If I got my feet invovled there would be broken bones, I am sure.

Love your lovely cover! Congrats. And my condolences about all the snow days. :)
xo
S

Amarinda Jones said...

Video games - not me

This excerpt - excellent

lyntaylor said...

LOL! We have SingStar atm. Dear daughter got it for Christmas but it's the adults that have been having a few drinks and getting into it :D

Congrats on the release of Tribute for the Goddess :D