Sunday, December 16, 2007

Oh Christmas Palm...


Well, at the insistence of the family, the Christmas tree went up, but if I had to put it up, I insisted that it be my way. Nothing epitomises Christmas dreams and wishes like a Christmas palm. Like they had evergreens in Bethlehem anyway. It’s perfect. It doesn’t sprawl like a “normal” tree and therefore doesn’t take up much space. It fits me and the kids think it’s the best tree ever. My husband just thinks I’m crazy, but he’s amused.

After the kid’s Christmas…oops…holiday…oops…winter program, I think I’m entitled to my eccentricities. We were treated to songs like the Penguin Polka, Turkey Woogie, and Mashed Potatoes. The only song I knew was Spin the Dreidel which is saying something since I’m protestant. I understand (don’t read agree) the whole separation mentality of church and school, but for Pete’s sake…what’s wrong with Deck the Halls or Jingle Bells. Anyone want to guess what Turkey Woogie is? The Kindergarteners were singing it. Words were pretty much optional. Hey, they were cute. By the way, the school covered Hanukkah and Kwanzaa but Christmas and Solstice were left out. Christians and Pagans on the same ground again. Who’d have thought… well, lots of people...

While I have the camera out…this is Dogbert, AKA Nixie. She answers to both names and is the best behaved dog ever. Except when people come over. Then she becomes The Wild Dog for about two minutes. Seven years and I can’t train that out of her. We’ve had her since she was 4 weeks old. A rescue dog. She honestly thinks I’m her mama. For the first few weeks, she spent all the time I wasn’t at work and she wasn’t in the yard nestled in the crook of my arm. Of course back then she was as big as her head is now. These days she spends a great deal of time sleeping on my feet.


The food didn’t lure out my true love…sigh. I give up. Maybe I didn’t make the list this year. Well, wait…I’m pretty sure I’m at least on the naughty list! Check out these fine authors and see whose sweetie brought them something. Collect all twelve answers and e-mail them to mailto:anny@annycook.com with 12 days of Romance in the subject line to win some great books. Deadline for answers is December 21st at midnight EST.

There will be three lucky winners.The prizes : 1st prize—6 books, 2nd prize—4 books, 3rd prize—2 books. All books and prize winners will be drawn randomly.
Anny Cook Winter Hearts
Sandra Cox Boji Stones
Bronwyn Green Ronan’s Grail
Heather Hiestand Cards Never Lie
Barbara Huffert Deal of a Lifetime
Amarinda Jones Mad About Mirabelle
Kelly Kirch Time for Love
Cindy Spencer Pape Cowboy’s Christmas Bride
Brynn Paulin Fallen
JacquƩline Roth Access Denied
KZ Snow Mrs. Claws
Lacey Thorn Earth Moves

GOOD LUCK!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer Armintrout said...

Kwanza is technically Pagan, what with not being part of any actual religion. Harambi!

Brynn Paulin said...

Ah... thanks for the clarification.

Bronwyn's Blog said...

I could launch into a verse or three of the Christians and the Pagans...but I'll restrain myself - I know how you hate that song.

I'm so glad Nixie-belle has made her first blog appearance. I just love that girl!

Brynn Paulin said...

Hate's a pretty strong word since I have no recollection of the song, lol.

I'm sure Nixie will show up again. She does own a pretty big part of my heart.